This Week in Mediation #749
October 17, 2018
Celebrating Our 23rd Year Membership information
In This Issue:
APFM: The Dream, Progress to Date, and New Goals • Weapons and Sports Agents • Mediation Power Imbalances: Weighing the Argumentse • What Do Marriage Counselors and Mediators Do? • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|APFM: The Dream, Progress to Date, and New Goals|
by Virginia Colin
In March 2012, eleven amazing people announced the creation of the Academy of Professional Family Mediators. They had big dreams and grand expectations. Let’s look at how far we have come and where we may go.
|Weapons and Sports Agents|
by Peter Adler
Life imitates art, art imitates life, and both reveal deeper patterns.
|Southern California Mediation Association Annual Conference - November 2-3 - Los Angeles|
"Striving for Excellence:" The Emergence of the Modern Mediator
|Mediation Power Imbalances: Weighing the Arguments|
by Nigel Dunlop
It is commonly said that power imbalances in mediation render it unfair.
|ACR/APFM CONFERENCE SALE on Premium Membership and Featured Mediator Placement |
TWO OPTIONS: 3 Months FREE (annual) or 2 Months for Price of 1 (monthly)!
See www.mediate.com/Membership and www.mediate.com/Direct to order!
|What Do Marriage Counselors and Mediators Do?|
by Ben Hartwig
There is a big difference between marriage counselors and mediators, and each is specific to the condition of a relationship.
|OMA 32nd Annual Conference - November 9-10 in Eugene|
You are invited to the Oregon Mediation Association’s 32nd Annual Conference--Navigating Conflict: Theory, Tools & Tips, November 9-10th in Eugene. This year’s conference offers a broad scope of relevant, professional-level conflict resolution presentations and workshops, as well as the opportunity to meet and engage with practitioners. Whether you are a mediator, attorney, social worker, human resources professional, student, educator, ADR practitioner, or counselor, you’ll find multiple interesting sessions. Learn more at ORmediation.org. Registration
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|AFFORDABLE MEDIATION EDUCATION AT MEDIATE UNIVERSITY|
Affordable and convenient online mediation training & continuing education (CLE and CEU) at: www.mediate.com/University. New (*) and best selling (**) courses featured this month:
Focused Practice Area Development:
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search All News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
|Caseload Manager is the #1 Case Management System for Mediation & Ombuds Programs|
Caseload Manager is now used by over 120 mediation and ombuds programs, including the IMF, International Red Cross and ICANN! See www.CaseloadManager.com and schedule a free personal tour!
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- ADR Advisor - DC and PR
- Foster Mediation Specialist - NV
- Mediator Case Manager - DC
- Coaches - DC
- ADR Practitioner - DC
- Mediation Secretary - CA
- Mediator - AL, AZ and CA
- Assistant Professor - NY
- Mediation Program Coordinator - DC
|Training & Conference Calendar
- October 17-26 - Corte Madera CA - 40 hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- October 18-20 - San Diego - APFM / ADFP Annual Catalyst Conference
- October 18 - Philadelphia PA - Working With Groups: Strengthening Your Ombuds Facilitation Skills
- October 18-November 3 - Memphis TN - 46 Hour Family Mediator Training
- October 18-22 - Kensington MD - 40-Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- October 19-22 - Ottowa ON Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- October 19-27 - Ventura, CA - Conflict Resolution Training
- October 19 - Philadelphia PA - When the Conflict is Within: Motivational Interviewing Skills for Ombuds
- October 22-26 - Baltimore MD - 40 Hour Mediation and Conflict Transformation Skills Training Focused on Sources of Conflict & A Systems Approach
- October 22-23 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- October 23-24 - Saratoga Springs NY - 2018 NYSDRA Conference
- October 23-25 - Newton MA - Elder Decisions® Elder Mediation Training (Adult Family Mediation Training)
- October 25-28 - San Antonio TX - 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training
- October 26 - Atlanta GA - Complex Finances: The Division of Assets in Domestic Relations Cases
- October 26-27 - Atlanta GA - The Division of Assets in Domestic Relations Cases
- October 28-November 18 - New Brunswick NJ - 40-Hour Basic Civil Mediation Training
- October 29-31 - San Antonio TX - Advanced Family Mediation Training
- October 29-November 2 - Chicago IL - Northwestern University's Mediation Skills Training Certificate Program
- October 29-November 1 - Toronto ON Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- October 29-November 2 - Macon GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training (42 Hours)
- November 1-5 - Kensington, MD - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- November 1-16 - Pittsburgh, PA - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- November 2-11 - Santa Fe, NM - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- November 5-8 - St. Petersburg FL - Conflict Dynamics Profile(CDP) Certification
- November 6-8 - St. Petersburg FL - Resolving Workplace Conflict (RWC)
- November 6-10 - Los Angeles CA - Mediating Commercial & Litigated Cases with Lee Jay Berman
- November 7-8 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Elder and Adult Care Mediation Training
- November 12-16 - New York NY - Employment Law Mediator Training
- November 13-16 - Richmond VA - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- November 16-18 - Kensington MD - 20-Hour Mediation of Economic Aspects of Divorce
- November 21-23 - Montreal QB Canada - ADR Institute of Canada Annual National Conference & AGM
- November 26-30 - Aurora CO - 40 hour Basic Mediation Training
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 28,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.