This Week in Mediation #783
June 19, 2019
Celebrating Our 24th Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Mediation in a Changing Climate? - From Consensus to Confrontation? • Ascending the Status of Mediation - Supporting the National Mediation Policy Act • Children First in Your Divorce • Creating a Winning Mediation Statement • Trump’s Approach to Conflict Resolution: Effect on Disputants and Neutrals •Conflict, Negotiation, and Public Policy Mediation in the Trump Era • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Mediation in a Changing Climate? - From Consensus to Confrontation? (6/17/19)|
by John Sturrock
It is a privilege to speak here at the Salzburg Global Seminar. I'd like to start with some provocation. Imagine these alternatives to the usual headlines.
Ascending the Status of Mediation - Supporting the National Mediation Policy Act (6/17/19)|
by Michael Aurit & Donald T. Saposnek
The Academy of Professional Family Mediators (APFM) recently became the first major organization to endorse The National Mediation Policy Act, a seminal national effort to improve the sanity of discourse in our country.
|Save on Mediate.com Premium Membership |
Save $61/yr by joining Mediate before June 30. Participate in the Mediate.com Professional Directory and up to 8 additional ADR Professional Directories for a set low price! See the data on why you should join today!
|Children First in Your Divorce (6/14/19)|
by Dr. Lynne C. Halem
How to mediate in the best interests of the children.
|Creating a Winning Mediation Statement (6/14/19)|
by Gene Esshaki
When it comes to commercial mediations, the first impression is made with the Mediation Statement.
|Mediate Now Offers WordPress Mediator Websites!|
Time for a website renovation? Your website is your mediation business storefront. Make sure that your professional website measures up! See www.mediate.com/Web for full information.
|Trump’s Approach to Conflict Resolution: Effect on Disputants and Neutrals (6/13/19)|
by Stephen Goldberg
Donald Trump’s primary approach to the resolution of conflict is to focus on what he sees as his power advantage over the party with whom he is dealing, and to rely on that presumed power advantage to force the other party to agree to his terms.
|Conflict, Negotiation, and Public Policy Mediation in the Trump Era (6/13/19)|
by Susan Podziba
The world of conflict, negotiation, and public policy mediation has markedly changed since the election of Donald Trump as president of the United States.
|Inaugural Training: “Mediating Online” at Santa Clara Law School - July 26-28|
Mediate and the Conflict Resolution Program at Santa Clara Law School are proud to offer "Mediating Online," taking place July 26-28 in Santa Clara, CA with lead presenters Colin Rule (Tyler Technology), Clare Fowler (Mediate) and Janet Martinez (Stanford). This is a first ever training dedicated to mediating disputes online! This program is limited to 30 participants. Full information is HERE. Questions: contact Dana Curtis at email@example.com or 415-331-5158.
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|Caseload Manager: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR|
Caseload Manager is used by over 140 mediation and ombuds programs, including 4 statewide systems, the IMF, International Red Cross and ICANN! See our Representative Systems and arrange for a personal tour of Caseload Manager today.
|THIS WEEK'S MEDIATION NEWS (read & search All News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- Preserve LA's Dispute Resolution Program
For 30 years -- since Avis Ridley-Thomas founded it in 1989 -- the Dispute Resolution Program has been providing free mediation for Los Angeles residents. Not surprisingly, the reason given for cutting the program is "budget cuts."
- State opioid nuisance trial: Retired chief justice named mediator in dispute over settlement
Steven Taylor, a retired chief justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court, has been named a special master to try to work out a dispute between state lawmakers and the state attorney general over a pending $85 million settlement agreement between the state and opioid maker Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.
- Berkeley schedules mediation to resolve KC’s BBQ dispute
The city of Berkeley has agreed to pay for a professional mediator to resolve a dispute between KC’s BBQ in Berkeley and a group of neighbors who have complained about odor and smoke coming from the restaurant’s outdoor smoker. The mediation is scheduled for July 9.
- Commission for Efficiency of Justice adopts new tools on cyberjustice and mediation
At its 32nd meeting (Strasbourg, 13-14 June 2019), the CEPEJ adopted a Toolkit for the implementation of the Guidelines on Cyberjustice, a European Handbook for Development of National Legislation on Mediation as well as Guidelines on designing and monitoring mediators training schemes.
- The Mediator’s Proposal: If Both Sides Say Yes, Make Sure It’s Binding
An important technique in any mediator’s toolkit is the mediator’s proposal. Typically used as a measure of last resort to avoid litigation after all other options for compromise have been exhausted, a mediator’s proposal recommends a dollar number (and perhaps other terms) to settle the dispute.
- New Zealand passes farm debt mediation bill
New Zealand Agriculture Minister announced Monday a new debt mediation scheme that will help farmers in financial distress deal with their heavy debt. The Farm Debt Mediation Bill requires creditors to offer farmers who default on payments mediation before they take any enforcement action.
- Conflict prevention, mediation: among ‘most important tools’ to reduce human suffering, Guterres tells Security Council
Conflict prevention and mediation are two of “the most important tools at our disposal to reduce human suffering” United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- The Social Network: Lessons from the Mediation That Resolved the Dispute Over the Founding of Facebook
Those who saw the award-winning film, The Social Network, are familiar with the dispute between Mark Zuckerberg and the Winklevoss twins over the founding of Facebook. What many fans of the movie might not be aware of is that the Zuckerberg-Winklevoss dispute was resolved through mediation.
- Mediation Talks Begin In Ohio State Abuse Lawsuits
Accusers of doctor Richard Strauss met with Ohio State University attorneys to begin mediation over a pair of lawsuits against the school. An independent investigation revealed Richard Strauss abused at least 177 men, and that a number of administrators failed to adequately respond.
|State-wide and Province-wide Banners!|
Mediate now offers state-wide and province-wide banners that appear twice on every page of Mediate.com for every visitor from your selected state or province. Save 20% to 6/30/19! Free banner design is included with annual placement. See www.mediate.com/Banners to get a quote.
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Ombudsperson Manager - OH
- Equal Employment Specialist ID
- Employee Relations--about to close! - DC
- Senior Mediation Advisor
- Mediation Consultant - Worldwide
- Community Outreach and Mediation Coordinator - TX
- Risk Manager - FL
- Arbitration Vice-President - OH
- Prisoner Re-entry Mediation Specialist - MD
- Education Mediation Specialist - MD
- Ombuds and Mediation Intern - NY
- Mediator - Varies
|MEDIATE UNIVERSITY COURSES (6 Month Access - Affordable CLE/CEU credit)
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
- June 19-21 - Greenbelt MD - 2019 Annual Conference
- June 20-23 - San Antonio TX - Basic Mediation 4 day Course
- June 20 - Roanoke VA - Practical Conflict Resolution*
- June 20-22 - Malibu CA - 32nd Annual Summer Professional Skills Program in Malibu
- June 20 - Roanoke VA - Deep Listening Skills
- June 20-21- Dallas TX - Parent Coordinator/Parent Facilitator Training (16 hours)
- June 20 - New York NY - Selected Ethics Issues in Mediation & Settlement Negotiations
- June 21 - Tampa FL - 8 hour CME/9hour CLE Advanced Training
- June 22-30 - Berkeley CA - Ron's Mediation Training at Berkeley
- June 24-26 - San Antonio TX - Advanced Mediation 3 Day Course
- June 24-26 - Los Angeles CA - DRPA Basic Mediation Skills Training
- June 27-28 - Atlanta GA - Domestic Relations Practicum (2 days)
- June 27-29 - Fairfax VA - Family Mediation Skills
- July 9 - Fairfax VA - Domestic Violence Assessment
- July 9-19 - Las Cruces NM - 40-Hr Basic Mediation Training
- July 10-13 - Atlanta GA - Juvenile Dependency Mediation
- July 11-16 - Vienna AUT - International Dispute Professional Academy
- July 12-20 - Fairfax VA - Mediation Skills and Process (basic mediation training)
- July 15-19 - Macon GA - Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- July 15-19 - Austin Area TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- July 18 - Roanoke VA - Managing Difficult Conversations
- July 19 - Ft. Lauderdale FL - 8 hr Advanced Mediation Training
- July 22-26 - College Park MD - Mediation Training (40 Hours)
- July 22-27 - Malibu CA - Mediating the Litigated Case - Malibu
6 Day Program
- July 25 - Roanoke VA - Practical Conflict Resolution
- July 25-29 - Atlanta GA - Domestic Relations Mediation (42 hrs.)
- July 26-28 - Inaugural Training: “Mediating Online” at Santa Clara Law School
- July 26-29 - Dallas TX - Basic Mediation 4 day Course
- July 31 - Fairfax VA - Mediator Graduate School
|Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 30,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.