This Week in Mediation #852
October 21, 2020 - OUR 25TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
Mediators Green Pledge • Because Mediators Deserve a Personality Test Too • NEW:Mediation 20/20 Conference - Day 3 Video • Getting the Most from Mediate.com • Mediation in Dollars and Sense • Mediating Conflict in the Time of Covid-19 • • Envisioning Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) for Internet Service Provider Outages • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Mediators Green Pledge
by John Sturrock
Promoting the Mediators Green Pledge is now the purpose of a new WoMACC site. It seems to be one way to commit to our future. I invite you to sign up to the Green Pledge and to promote it to those you know and work with.
|Because Mediators Deserve a Personality Test Too
by Dr. Clare Fowler
This is a personality test, just for those in the dispute resolution field. Because mediators deserve a personality test too!
|NEW: Mediation 20/20 Conference - Day 3 Video
(1) Envisioning Mediation for a New Generation - Where Should We Go? Technology and New Generational Expectations; and (2) Moving Forward - How Do We Get There? Also see:
|MEDIATE.COM MEMBERSHIP SALE - NEW MEMBERS SAVE DURING OCTOBER!
NEW: Married Mediators: Kim Kovach and Eric Galton
An interview with Kim Kovach and Eric Galton about mediation, being married to a mediator, and the future of mediation. Recorded and shared as part of the Mediation 20/20 Conference.
|Getting the Most from Mediate.com
by Colin Rule
This PDF presentation from Mediate.com CEO Colin Rule reviews available Mediate content, resources, and services to help you develop and promote your mediation services.
|Mediating With Adult Families with Dana Curtis - November 9-13 and 16-20
This workshop introduces experienced mediators to the field of adult family mediation, also known as elder mediation, in its many forms, including decision-making about the well-being of senior family members and those who care for them; family owned business disputes; disputes about jointly-held property; and inheritance disputes. This course will take place Nov 9-13 and Nov 16-20 Monday-Friday, 10:00am to to 12:00pm PST. Course Faculty: Dana Curtis | CLE: 20 hours. Full information and registration are HERE.
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
READ ALL FEATURED BLOGS
|CYBERWEEK 2020 is November 2-6
This will be the 22nd ADR Cyberweek. We’re confident it is going to be the best Cyberweek ever! Cyberweek will run from November 2 to November 6, 2020. We will have platform demos, interviews, webinars, simulations, discussion forums, and time to just hang out and bond with your fellow attendees in a social hour. Some highlights: Ethan Katsh interviewing Jim Melamed on 25 years of Mediate.com; Leah Wing on ODR for Disaster Response; Dan Rainey on Neuroscience and Negotiation; and a panel focusing on recent student ODR scholarship. Full information is HERE.
|Mediation in Dollars and Sense
by Ehsan Ali, Alnoor Maherali
Conflicts impose many concealed costs in businesses, which can compound over time and damage an organization’s bottom line. While a manager or business leader may be uninterested in the good feelings that mediation can generate, they should care about mediation as a highly effective tool for improving their organization’s conflict resolution structure - and balance sheet.
|Mediating Conflict in the Time of Covid-19
by Vicki Assegued
This article addresses internal and external skills for mediators to use during this time of Covid-19, to raise awareness of internal biases, and shift those biases in order to skillfully mediate for our clients.
|Envisioning Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) for Internet Service Provider Outages
by Josh Srago
Before the pandemic, losing your internet connectivity was frustrating; now, losing connectivity can truly be detrimental to your health and safety. This article proposes a new model for redress where independent ombudspersons help consumers get fair redress for lost connections, enabling equitable outcomes and leveling the playing field.
|MEDIATE UNIVERSITY - 6 Month Access! Check out the NEW Mediate University at www.MediateUniversity.com!
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
READ ALL MEDIATION NEWS
The Growing Appeal of a Multi-Stage Mediation Process
Scholars and mediation practitioners have begun to question whether a multi-stage mediation process, in which discrete parts of the mediation are tackled at different times, might offer a better approach, at least in some cases.
How do you ensure you choose the right mediator for your case?
Fundamentally, be curious and exploratory. Ask for recommendations from colleagues, people who have mediated before and/or an independent dispute resolution provider.
Tips for Maximizing Your Virtual Mediation Experience
Attorneys involved in virtual mediation need to carefully plan their online video calls for even mundane things like deciding who will be on camera, how to virtually break for lunch, and how to know when a mediator “enters a room,” say attorneys from Nutter’s litigation department.
How does BigLaw Resolve Commercial Litigation Cases in Mediation?
The short answer to this question is “by preparing their cases thoroughly.” However, like most things in life, the true answer to resolving commercial litigation cases lies in the details.
Mediation Strategies to Overcome Bias, Prejudgments and Assumptions
One of the bedrocks of our profession is the ability to help those who are most in need, without regard to race, gender, socio-economic status or the like.
Seven Ways to Successfully Prepare for your Mediation
Entire books could – and have – been written about how to be successful in commercial mediation, or any negotiation for that matter. But here are seven, straightforward tips that you can follow to maximise your chances of getting a good deal in mediation before you even sit down at the table. These tips apply equally to online and face-to-face mediations.
What’s So Different About Class Action Mediation?
So, what makes mediating a class action different from mediating an individual case? Plenty. Here are some of the key differences.
Community Information Session and Free Mediation Services Through City Partnership with Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 12:00 pm, the City of Santa Monica will collaborate with the Straus Institute at Pepperdine Caruso School of Law to host a community information session about using mediation to resolve rental disputes in connection with COVID-19.
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR
Caseload Manager is the proven secure cloud-based case management system for Mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs and practices. Caseload Manager is used by over 170 mediation, ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the International Red Cross, and ICANN! See our Representative Clients and arrange for a personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Chief Mediation Officer at EEOC - DC
- Ombudsperson - IA
- Lead Child Welfare Mediator - UT
- Contract Mediator - CO
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
- Fellows Program - NY
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
- October 23 - ONLINE CA - Working with Differences
- October 23-31 - ONLINE OK - 40-hour Family & Divorce Mediation Training – using Zoom
- October 24-25 - ONLINE CA - Beyond the Basics
- October 26-29 - ONLINE - 20 Hour Restorative Justice Mediation Training via Zoom
- October 26-30 - Macon GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training
- October 26-30 - ONLINE MA - Elder Decisions® Elder Mediation Training (Adult Family Mediation Training)
- October 27 - ONLINE CA - How to Disagree Online
- October 28-31 - Houston TX -Advanced Mediation: Family-Divorce-Child Custody Training
- October 29 - ONLINE - Mediate BC Virtual Unconference
- October 29-30 - Live Webinar - Advanced Mediation Training
- October 29-30 - ONLINE CANADA - Virtual Conflict Resolution Conference 2020
- November 1-30 - ONLINE TX - Basic Mediation 40 Hour Online Course
- November 2-6 - CYBERWEEK 2020
- November 2-6 - ONLINE AZ - 42-Hour Mediation Training
- November 5-22 - ONLINE ID - 40 Hour Basic Mediation Training
- November 9 - Austin Area TX - 10 Hour Arbitration Training
- November 9-20 - ONLINE - Mediating with Adult Families - An Online Workshop for Experienced Mediators with Dana Curtis]
- November 10-11 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- November 10-12 - Dallas TX - Family Mediation Training (30 hours
- November 11-15 - ONLINE MO - Civil and Family Mediation Training (virtual live instructor-led training)
- November 12 - ONLINE TX - 10 Hour Arbitration Training
- November 12-13 - Macon GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Practicum
- November 12-13 - ONLINE WA - Essentials of Stepfamily Coaching
- November 12 - ONLINE - E-Mediation Mentoring Webinar
- November 13-21 - ONLINE OK - 40-hour Family & Divorce Mediation Training – using Zoom
- November 13-14 - Tigard OR - 40 Hour Basic Mediation Training - Online & In-Person Option
- November 14-15 - ONLINE CA - Conflict Coaching 101
- November 16-18 - ONLINE NY - NYSDRA Annual Conference "Challenge of Change: Creative Conversations for Today"
- November 16-December 8 - ONLINE - Communicate & Manage Conflict with Verbal Aikido
- November 17 - ONLINE TX - Dynamics of Domestic Violence
- November 17 - ONLINE TX - The Legal and Ethical Responsibilities of Culture Awareness and Sensitivity within a Diverse Workforce
- November 20 - St. Louis MO - 2020 AMM Annual Conference
- December 2-4 - ONLINE CA - Women's Negotiation Academy: Creating Skilled and Sophisticated Negotiators
- December 2-8 - ONLINE TX - Basic Mediation Training ZOOM LIVE and INTERACTIVE
- December 2-19 - ONLINE MA - Elder Decisions® Elder Mediation Training (Adult Family Mediation Training)
- December 5 - ONLINE CA - Intermediate Conflict Coaching
- December 6 - ONLINE CA - Belonging & Connecting Conversations for Peacebuilding
- December 7-11 - Austin Area TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- December 11 - ONLINE TX - Arbitration Training ONLINE with ZOOM: live and interactive
- December 11-13 - ONLINE OK - 24-hour Civil Mediation Training – using Zoom
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com. We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation.
Please review our submission guidelines. This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 19,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals.
You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.