This Week in Mediation #871
March 3, 2021 - OUR 26TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
How Do We Tell our Friends We’re Getting a Divorce? • Progressive Discipline, the Misunderstood Frontier • A Tale of Two Pilots: A comparison of civil justice innovation in New York State and England & Wales • Adversarial Ethics and the Responsibilities of Mediation Associations • Ways to Practice Building Your Emotional Intelligence • CEDR’s Eileen Carroll: Her Mediation Story • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|How Do We Tell our Friends We’re Getting a Divorce?
by Amanda Singer
Recently I had a client ask me, “How do we say to our friends we’re getting a divorce?”
|Progressive Discipline, the Misunderstood Frontier
by Maurice Ford, Bruce Ally
Since most employers will be faced with challenges from employees on an ongoing basis it is our intention to explore these ideas and expand on the concepts.
|A Tale of Two Pilots: A comparison of civil justice innovation in New York State and England & Wales
by Tony Guise
Two recent announcements of pilot programs on either side of the Atlantic bring in to sharp focus steps being taken to bust the Backlog of civil cases in two jurisdictions.
|MEDIATE.COM PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP
If you are a professional mediator, join Mediate.com as a Premium Member and be listed at Mediate.com and at as many as 8 additional ADR Directories (no additional cost). Mediate.com is the most visited mediation website! See www.mediate.com/Membership
|Adversarial Ethics and the Responsibilities of Mediation Associations
by Julian Granka Ferguson
Adversarial ethics, or the ethics of competition, are an unfortunately overlooked field of moral philosophy.
Ways to Practice Building Your Emotional Intelligence
by Nathan Vu
Emotional intelligence (EQ) plays a major part in negotiation.
|CEDR’s Eileen Carroll: Her Mediation Story
by Antranik Chekemian
F. Peter Phillips, director of New York Law School’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Skills Program, welcomed an online audience earlier this month as part of the program’s long-running lunchtime speaker series for a session with veteran U.K. mediator Eileen Carroll.
|CHECK OUT THE NEW MEDIATE UNIVERSITY AT MediateUniversity.com
Convenient and Affordable Online Mediation Education - Over 30 Courses - 6 Month Course Access - CLE/CEU Credit
Professionals: Use coupon code "MEDIATE" to save 10% during March! - Also see: Group Discounts
Best selling trainings include:
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|Mediating Online Training - Mediating eCommerce, Property and Workplace Disputes Online - April 12-23, 2021
This training is intended for experienced mediators interested in most capably extending your mediation practice to offer online mediation services. Primary Presenters: Clare Fowler, Colin Rule and Jim Melamed. This Mediating Online Training qualifies as the 20-hour online mediation course required for Mediate.com Online Mediator Certification. 20 CLE/CEU credits available, including 2 credits for Ethics. Full information is HERE.
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- HR Specialist - CA
- Employee Relations Manager - NC
- Negotiations Manager - NY
- Foreign Affairs Officer - NY
- Reconciliation Coordinator - WA
- Mediator - MA
- Dispute Resolution Program Director - CA
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR
Caseload Manager is the proven secure cloud-based case management system for Mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs and practices. Caseload Manager is used by over 170 mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the International Red Cross, and ICANN! See our Representative Clients and arrange for a personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
Read All Mediation News
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
See Complete Calendar
- March 3-20 - ONLINE MA - Elder Decisions® Elder Mediation Training (Adult Family Mediation Training) - ONLINE
- March 3-6 - ONLINE TX - Advanced Mediation: Family-Divorce-Child Custody Training
- March 3-12 - Online - 40 hour Mediation Training - Live Webinar
- March 3-7 - ONLINE MO - Civil and Family Mediation Training (virtual live instructor-led training)
- March 4-6 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Certified County Court Mediation Training Program
- March 5 - ONLINE TX - Domestic Violence for Advance Family Training required by TX legislation
- March 6-14 - ONLINE TX - 30-hour Family Mediation Training
- March 8-April 6 - ONLINE TX - Communicate & Manage Conflict with Verbal Aikido
- March 11-19 - ONLINE CT - 40-Hour Mediation Certificate Program
- March 12 - ONLINE FL - The Art of Mediation
- March 12 - ONLINE TX - Dynamics of Domestic Violence
- March 12-20 - ONLINE OK - 40 Hr Oklahoma Family and Divorce Mediation Training
- March 15-16 - ONLINE TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- March 17-April 1 - ONLINE MA - Online Divorce Mediation Training
- March 18 - ONLINE FL - The Art of Mediation: “Mediation is My Superpower, Superhero Traits within Negotiations & Mediation Skills/Techniques”
- March 19 - ONLINE WA - Complex Parenting Plan Solutions
- March 22-26 - Reno NV - 40-Hour Beginning Mediation and Conflict Resolution Certificate
- March 22 - ONLINE TX - 10 Hour Arbitration Training
- March 23 - ONLINE TX - 10 Hour Advanced Arbitration Training
- March 23 - New York NY - Negotiation Skills & Strategies for Everyday Bargaining
- March 24-28 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Civil Mediation Certification Training
- April 2-May 14 - ONLINE - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- April 6 - New York NY - Neuroscience in Mediation and Negotiation
- April 6-9 - Dallas TX - Basic Mediation Training (40 Hours)
- April 8-17 - ONLINE - 40 hour Basic Mediation Training via Zoom
- April 8-18 - ONLINE ID - 40 Hr Basic Mediation Course (Via Zoom)
- April 9-11 - ONLINE OK - 24-hour Civil Mediation Training
- April 12-15 - ONLINE TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- April 12-23 - ONLINE - Mediating Online Training with Colin Rule, Clare Fowler and Jim Melamed
- April 12-15 - Boise ID - Mediating with Domestic Violence
- April 14-20 - ONLINE TX - Basic Mediation Training ZOOM LIVE and INTERACTIVE
- April 15-17 - ONLINE ON - Voice of the Child Reports Training
- April 19-21 - ONLINE TX - 30 Hour Advanced Civil/Advanced Family Mediation Training
- April 19-30 - ONLINE CA - Executive Negotiation Seminar: Cultivating Influence in Modern Contexts
- April 21-25 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Civil Mediation Certification Training
- April 29-May 1 - ONLINE TX - Elder and Adult Family Mediation Training - ONLINE
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation.
Please review our submission guidelines. This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 21,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals.
You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.