This Week in Mediation #756
December 5, 2018
Celebrating Our 23rd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Legal Stress • Mediation Dance-Writing • How Indigenous Voices Can Get Lost in Mediation • Liberia, Its Poverty Recovery Strategies and Failures, and Why Its Pro-poor Agenda will Fail if Lacked Future Perspectives • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Legal Stress (11/30/18)|
by John Lande
This post provides excerpts from my research summarizing significant stresses affecting each of these groups and notes resources and ideas for dealing with them.
|Comparative Data on Mediator Directory Websites|
Mediate.com continues to be the most visited mediation website, Mediate is the most visited mediator directory site (by 10x) and most linked mediation site (by 5x). See new data from Alexa Here. Join Mediate's professional directories here
|Mediation Dance-Writing (11/28/18)|
by Peter Adler
Sometime between 480 and 221 BC during China’s Warring States Period, a general named Wu wrote a short and now widely read treatise on how to win a big fight. The highest excellence, he said, is the “sheathed sword,” achieving your goal without fighting.
|NEW Divorce Mediation Online Courses from Mediate.com & APFM!|
Take advantage of introductory Pricing for these 4 awesome NEW online streaming courses from the Academy of Professional Family Mediators (APFM) and Mediate.com. These courses are available individually or as a complete package for only $299 during December 2018!
Full information on all Mediate University courses is HERE.
|How Indigenous Voices Can Get Lost in Mediation (11/30/18)|
by Rebecca Hiers
This article focuses on how differences in communication styles and in world-views can lead to Native Americans not being heard or understood in mediation; and some thoughts on how to address this problem.
|Liberia, Its Poverty Recovery Strategies and Failures, and Why Its Pro-poor Agenda will Fail if Lacked Future Perspectives (11/30/18)|
by Robert Quiminee
This article discusses Liberia's path to peace and liberation, 1871 - 2017.
|40 Hour Basic Mediation Training with Dr. Clare Fowler in Eugene - January 17-21|
Mediate.com is co-sponsoring an in-person 40-hour Basic Mediation Training with Dr. Clare Fowler in Eugene, January 17-21. Join Clare at the University of Oregon School of Law for 5 fantastic days of mediation training. CLE and CEU credits.
|How to Get the Most from Mediate.com (11/20/18)|
This PDF presentation reviews the major sections of Mediate.com, including content, resources, getting cases and Mediate.com services.
|Mediate.com Recognized as a Top Attorney Directory for SEO! (11/15/18)|
Now entering our 24th year, Mediate.com is recognized as a Top Law Firm Directory.
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|Caseload Manager is the Top Case Management System for Mediation & Ombuds Programs|
Caseload Manager is used by over 120 mediation and ombuds programs, including the IMF, International Red Cross and ICANN!
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search All News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- California Attorneys Must Obtain Client's Signed Understanding of Mediation Confidentiality, Effective January 1, 2019
Effective January 1, 2019, California attorneys are required to provide written disclosures to their client explaining mediation confidentiality restrictions. They must also obtain written acknowledgment from the client that he/she understands the disclosures. Failure to obtain a proper signed acknowledgment is not a basis to set aside an agreement, but may subject an attorney to discipline.
- UK Civil Justice Council opts against mandatory ADR
The Civil Justice Council (CJC) has stopped short of recommending a ’presumption’ that parties will agree to alternative dispute resolution (ADR) as a condition for issuing proceedings - but said it is committed to promoting alternatives to litigation.
- What Do You Think Makes A Good Mediator?
How does a lawyer explain to their client why they recommend using a mediator beyond saying “they have a good reputation”?
- ODRways, NUJS to organise Indian Mediation Week, Business Mediation Summits to spread awareness
In furtherance of efforts to promote mediation in India, the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences Kolkata (NUJS) is organising an Indian Mediation Week (IMW), a pan-India mediation awareness campaign, in collaboration with Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) centre, ODRways.
- The SRO: Mentor, Mediator, Counselor, Cop
After months of work, the Michigan School Safety Task Force has presented a set of recommendations to Governor Rick Snyder. In April, the governor directed the group to review and modify best practices that school districts can use to protect their students and staff.
- Insured’s Suit Against Insurer Is Dismissed Where Parties Hadn’t First Mediated Their Dispute
A federal district court in Florida has granted an insurer’s motion to dismiss a lawsuit brought by its insured where the parties had not previously engaged in mediation as mandated by the insurance policy – even though neither the insurer nor insured had demanded mediation before the insured filed his lawsuit.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Facilitation Mediation Specialist - NV
- Mediator - Varies
- Mediation Program Coordinator - DC
|Training & Conference Calendar
- December 6-10 - Kensington MD - 40-Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- December 6-7 - Malibu CA - Women's Negotiation Academy: Creating Skilled and Sophisticated Negotiators
- December 6 - New York NY - Effective Mediation Advocacy: Skills and Strategies for Litigators
- December 10-14 - Baltimore MD - 40 Hour Mediation & Conflict Transformation Skills Training
- December 17-19 - Austin Area TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training
- January 9-11 - Santa Ana CA - Elder Care Mediation Training
- January 15-17 - St. Petersburg FL - 16th Annual Conflict Resolution and Mediation Conference
- January 17-21 - Eugene, OR - Basic Mediation 40-hr Training with Dr. Clare Fowler
- January 17-20 - Amarillo/Childress TX - 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training
- January 18-26 - Santa Fe NM - Restorative Justice Training - 40-Hours
- January 24-27 - San Antonio TX - 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training- 4 Day Course
- January 28-31 - Malibu CA - Leadership for Attorneys in Business
- January 28-30 - San Antonio TX - Advanced Family Mediation Training Intensive 3 Day Course
- January 28-30 - Albuquerque NM - Foundations of Organizational Ombudsman Practice (3 days)
- January 28-February 1 - Los Angeles CA - Mediating Commercial & Litigated Cases with Lee Jay Berman
- January 29-February 10 - Gatineau/Ottawa ON Canada -Conflict Management Coaching Workshop (French)
- February 5-8 - Wichita Falls TX - Basic Mediation Training (40 Hours)
- February 5-9 - San Diego CA - 40-Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- February 7-23 - Malibu CA - Mediating the Litigated Case - Malibu
6 Day Program
- February 7-9 - Amarillo/Childress TX - Advanced Mediation 3 Day Course
- February 15 - Topeka KS - 2019 Heartland Mediators Association Winter Training
- March 1-2 - San Diego CA - Family Interdisciplinary Teamwork - Mosten Mediation
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 28,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.