This Week in Mediation #765
February 13, 2019
Celebrating Our 24th Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Get Curious! • Ken Cloke Discusses Political Negotiation - Video • Ombuds and Mediation • Canadian Business: 5 Ways Co-Mediating Benefits Your Own Mediation Business • Journey Toward a Social Lab Approach to Change • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Get Curious! (7/08/19)|
by Lori Frank
This article, from Victoria-based Lori Frank, discusses how to open up your communication by using open-ended questions.
|Ken Cloke Discusses Political Negotiation - Video (2/12/19)|
Dispute Resolution leader Kenneth Cloke discusses how we can discuss politics to bring about change instead of division.
|Ombuds and Mediation (2/11/19)|
by Bina Patel
Today, the term ombudsman serves as a neutral representative. Its function is becoming a necessity in various industries including, healthcare, academia, private, public, and non-profit organizations.
|Join Us April 1-3 for the 14th Annual IOA Conference in New Orleans, LA|
The International Ombudsman Association (IOA) annual conference serves as the premier venue to promote ombuds awareness, increase individual knowledge, and enhance professional skills. The annual conference features keynote and plenary speakers, workshops, presentations, and panel discussions to address a conference theme and provides countless opportunities for connection and engagement. Conference is April 1-3 at the Sheraton New Orleans. Register HERE.
|Get More Mediation Cases in 2019!|
Get more mediation cases in 2019! Special rate of $65/mo or $650/yr for BOTH Premium Membership and Featured Mediator Placement. Join Mediate.com Professional Directories and Become a Featured Mediator - Ends Feb 15!
|Canadian Business: 5 Ways Co-Mediating Benefits Your Own Mediation Business (2/10/19)|
by Sharon Sutherland
Mentoring and co-mediating have been fundamental aspects of my mediation work since my first experiences in Toronto some 19 years ago.
|Journey Toward a Social Lab Approach to Change (2/08/19)|
by Nancy Cameron
A small group of us in British Columbia have been collectively grappling with what we can do to leverage the uncertainty created by a time of great change.
|Satisfy Your Ethics CLE/CEU - New Online Mediation Ethics Course with Michael Lang!|
Take care of your annual CLE/CEU requirements and enjoy Michael Lang's new online streaming Mediation Ethics Course, a 2.5 hour course that reviews the two key elements of mediation ethics: the mediation process and the mediator's role. Sign up HERE.
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|SALE ON Mediate University's MOST POPULAR Courses - Ends Friday!
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search All News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- UK (England and Wales) - Housing dispute resolution proposals will impact developers
All private sector landlords will be covered by the new Housing Complaints Resolution Service, including providers of student accommodation and developers building new leasehold homes. They will also be subject to a new legal requirement to join a redress scheme.
- Australia’s new dispute resolution body to accept complaints dating back to 2008
The Australian Government proposes to widen AFCA’s remit so that the body accepts complaints dating back to January 1, 2008.
- New behaviour guidelines for Quebec hockey parents aim to keep action on the ice
Guidelines set out roles, responsibilities for parents, team and arena personnel, officials. If parents tell a child to fight another player, for instance, the guidelines suggest they be confronted, placed into a mediation process and then brought in front of a disciplinary committee.
- Maryland-HBCU funding deal discussed with Black lawmakers
Gov. Larry Hogan met with members of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland last week to discuss a settlement to a long-running dispute over the state's treatment of its historically Black colleges, as well as other priorities of the caucus this legislative session.
- 4 Things to know about ICC Mediation Week
The International Chamber of Commerce’s (ICC) largest education event, ICC Mediation Week, officially kicks off in Paris. More than 500 students, ADR practitioners and volunteers from across the globe are set to embark on a week-long journey of learning, networking and fun.
- Ireland: State seeks to resolve McCabe actions for damages through mediation
The State wants to mediate several damages actions brought against it by retired Garda sergeant and whistleblower Maurice McCabe.
- Rice Creek Commons dispute moves to mediation
Ramsey County is looking for third-party help to resolve long-simmering differences with the city of Arden Hills over the planned redevelopment of the former Twin Cities Army Ammunition Plant site in Arden Hills.
- Mediation scheduled in lawsuit against Nashua superintendent
A private mediator will be used in an effort to resolve a civil lawsuit brought forward by a former school board member against Superintendent Jahmal Mosley.
- Thousands of Texans were shocked by surprise medical bills. Their requests for help overwhelmed the state.
A massive backlog that began last summer left state regulators unable to provide timely help to the thousands of Texans who requested mediation from the Texas Department of Insurance.
|NEW Online Courses from Mediate.com & APFM!|
Take advantage of special Introductory Pricing on 4 new online courses from the Academy of Professional Family Mediators (APFM) and Mediate.com. The 4 courses combined = 9 hours CLE/CEU. Available individually or as a complete package for only $199. Sale Ends February 15!
Full information on all courses is HERE.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Problem Resolution Institute - VP - NY
- ADR Court Mediator/Landlord-Tenant Mediator - CA
- Director of Mediation - OR
- Ombuds Internship - NY
- Mediation Editor - Telecommute
- Paid Internship - CA
- Executive Director - Telecommute
- Mediation Executive Director - Negotiable
- Mediator - Varies
|Caseload Manager is the #1 Case Management System for Mediation & Ombuds Programs|
Caseload Manager is used by over 120 mediation and ombuds programs, including the IMF, International Red Cross and ICANN!
|Training & Conference Calendar
- February 15 - Topeka KS - 2019 Heartland Mediators Association Winter Training
- February 18-20 - Austin Area TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training
- February 23 - Los Angeles CA - Politics, Conflict, and Leadership: Strategies for Mediators and ADR Professionals with Ken Cloke
- February 25-March 1 - Macon GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training
- February 26-March 1 - Fairfax VA - Mediation Skills and Process (basic mediation training)
- February 26-March 6 - New York NY - Basic Mediation Training: Conflict Resolution Theory & Techniques
- March 1-2 - San Diego CA - Family Interdisciplinary Teamwork - Mosten Mediation
- March 2-30 - San Francisco CA - Ron's Mediator Certificate Training at BASF
- March 6-15 - Medford OR - Fundamentals of Mediation Training
- March 7-April 18 - ONLINE - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- March 11-14 - New Braunfels TX - Basic Mediation Training
- March 11-15 - Tucson AZ - 42-Hour Mediation Training
- March 12-13 - Malibu CA - Global Dispute Resolution Conference
- March 13-22 - Corte Madera CA - 40 hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- March 13-17 - Macon GA - Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- March 13 - Los Angeles CA - USC/JAMS Arbitration Institute Fourth Annual Symposium:
Best Practices in International Arbitration
- March 13-19 - Los Angeles CA - 4-Day Community Mediation Training
- March 15-23 - Camarillo CA - Mediation & Negotiation Training
- March 19 - New York NY - Neuroscience in Mediation and Negotiation
- March 19 - Austin Area TX - 8 Hour Cultural Awareness & Sensitivity Training
- March 24-April 14 - New Brunswick NJ - 40-Hour Basic Civil Mediation Training
- March 25-28 - Ottawa ON Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- March 25-29 - Reno NV - 40-Hour Beginning Mediation and Conflict Resolution Certificate
- March 25-29 - Atlanta GA - 40 Hour Basic Mediation Skills Course
- March 26 - Fairfax VA - Non-Violent Communication
- March 27-31 - Springfield MO - Civil & Family Mediation Training
- March 28-29 - Corte Madera CA - Advanced Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- March 28-29 - Seattle WA - 25th Annual Northwest Dispute Resolution Conference
- March 28-29 - Strategies for Dealing with Opposition and Outrage in Public Participation
- March 28-April 5 - Greenbelt MD - Cross-Border Family Mediation Training – Parenting Plans
- March 29-April 6 - Santa Cruz CA - 4-Day Mediation Skills Training
- March 29-April 7 - Santa Fe NM - 40-Hr Basic Mediation Training
- March 30 - Fairfax VA - Negotiation Training
- April 1-3 - New Orleans LA - 14th Annual IOA Conference
- April 1-5 - Macon GA - Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- April 3-5 - Boulder CO - Conflict Coaching, A Three-Day Basic Training
- April 4-5 - Berkeley CA - Negotiating Effective Environmental Agreements
- April 5 - Somerset NJ - 6-Hour Supplemental Civil Mediation Training
- April 8 - Austin Area TX - 10 Hour Arbitration Training
- April 9-12 - Richmond VA - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- April 9-10 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- April 9-12 - Fairfax VA - Mediation Skills and Process (basic mediation training
- April 10-13 - Minneapolis MN - 21st Annual ABA DR Spring Conference
- April 11-12 - Overland Park KS - 2019 HMA Annual Spring Conference
|Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 29,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.