This Week in Mediation #723
April 17, 2018
Celebrating Our 23rd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
The Ghosts of Melos • Why Are You And Your Sibling Fighting Over Your Parent's House? • Restorative Practices in Juvenile Criminal Proceedings • The Intractability Barrier in Child Dependency • Start Protecting The Public Before Raising State Bar Fees • Interview with Howard Bellman • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|The Ghosts of Melos|
by Peter Adler
Intermediaries, honest brokers, and would-be peacemakers have much to learn from warfare. In fact if you want to understand mediation, learn about war.
|Why Are You And Your Sibling Fighting Over Your Parent's House? |
by Kamela Laird
In this model, the lawyer-mental health professional duo creates a safe container for you and your sibling to communicate authentically about what really matters to you.
|Restorative Practices in Juvenile Criminal Proceedings|
by Maria Paola Felibert and Maria Eugenia Sole
This article moves from theory to practice by demonstrating an approach from a real case in Latin America.
|Special: Join Mediate.com as Premium Member + Featured Mediator Placement and Save!|
The Mediate.com Directory is the most used mediator directory in the world! Save this weekon our most effective combination of Premium Membership + Featured Mediator Placement. See: www.mediate.com/Membership
|The Intractability Barrier in Child Dependency|
by Randy Drew
Stories of successfully breaking the intractability barrier in child dependency mediation: Conflict can be dealt with more successfully & less harmfully. (Say it with me.)
|Start Protecting The Public Before Raising State Bar Fees|
by Mark Baer
The problem with the Ba Association is a lack of agreed upon understanding of what "its critical public protection functions" entails.
|Interview with Howard Bellman|
This is the complete interview by Robert Benjamin with Howard Bellman, a long-time leader in the field of labor-management mediation and mediation in the public sector generally, filmed as part of Mediate.com's 'Views from the Eye of the Storm' Video Series.
|Case Management for College and University Ombuds|
by Clare Fowler and Jim Melamed
Academic (college and university) Ombuds Offices have unique needs for managing personal and case information. See Caseload Manager at the IOA Conference in Richmond April 23-25
Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|New: Mediate.com Statewide Banners|
Have your attractive banner (we will develop for free to match your website) displayed 2x on every page of Mediate.com for every visitor from your state. Reduced Prices this week. See www.mediate.com/Banners for full information.
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search all News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- Mediators’ Institute welcomes evidence of growing use of mediation
The Mediators’ Institute of Ireland (MII) has welcomed figures showing that the vast majority of complaints to the Financial Services Ombudsman (FSO) last year were resolved through mediation. Of the 3,867 complaints closed in 2017, a total of 2,370 – more than 60 per cent – were closed using mediation.
- 120 rural court judges trained on techniques for mediation of disputes in Darfur
UN Mission in Dafur Rule of Law recently organized training workshops for rural court judges in four Darfur states. Some 120 judges received training on Sudanese laws, legal procedures and techniques for conducting successful mediation of disputes.
- Rape case headed to felony mediation in Ohio
An Ohio man accused of holding a woman at knifepoint, threatening her son and raping her in 2016 is going before a mediator. Rather amazing fact pattern perhaps justifying mediation in this matter.
- Why Being a Jerk at Mediation Is Counter-Productive
The "pit bull" competitive, adversarial approach is completely out of place in a mediation
- Comparing Qatari and Norwegian Models of Small State Conflict Mediation
The ambitious peacemaking roles pursued by both Norway and Qatar, two small states with some similar and more different traits, constituted the basis for an Expert Workshop hosted in Oslo from 9–10 May 2017, with participants including officials from the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of both countries.
- Foreign Secretary announces £1.6m for women in conflict mediation
UK: The Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson announces £1.6 million to put women at the heart of conflict resolution.
- Singapore Mediation Highlight: Employment, Telecommunications and Media
Singapore has embraced mediation as an alternative dispute resolution method, including recent amendments to law and proposed process enhancements for the mediation of employment claims and telecommunications and media disputes.
- How Mediation Training Could Promote Student Resilience, Well-Being
Many of the problems students are struggling with are related to issues of perspective-taking, self-awareness, and self-regulation. Luckily, there is a suite of skills that addresses those specific issues – and many universities already teach them under the heading of “mediation training.”
|Affordable Online Mediation Education at Mediate University, CLE & CEU |
Affordable and convenient online mediation training and continuing education (CLE and CEU) is at: www.mediate.com/University.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Senior Mediation Coordinator - NY
- Labor Relations Specialist - OR
- Mediation Manager - IN
- Case Manager - OR
- HR Consultant - TX
- Program Associate - CO
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- April 19-23 - Kensington MD - 40-Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- April 20-21 - Richmond VA - Conflict: Theory and Applications for the Organizational Ombudsman (2 days)
- April 20-21 - Indianapolis IN - Advanced Mediator Training
- April 20-22 - Richmond VA - Foundations of Organizational Ombudsman Practice (3 days)
- April 21 - Orlando FL - Pro Se Divorce Mediation Training
- April 22 - Richmond VA - Foundations of Organizational Ombudsman Course (3 days)
- April 23-25 - Richmond VA - International Ombudsman Association 13th Annual Conference
- April 24 - Des Plaines, IA - Interest-Based Collaboration
- April 24-26 - New Orleans LA - Certified Trainer in Workplace Conflict Resolution (CT)
- April 26-May 1 - Portland, ME - Mediation Training 40 hour program
- April 27-May 6 - Miami, Broward County FL - Civil Mediation Certification Training (40 hrs)
- April 30-May 2 - Austin Area TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training
- May 1-3 - Newton MA - Elder Decisions® Elder Mediation Training (Adult Family Mediation Training)
- May 3-18 - Ann Arbor MI - 48 Hour Divorce Mediation + Domestic Violence Screening Training with Zena Zumeta
- May 3 - Monroe Township, NJ - Beyond Marketing: Growing your Collaborative Practice
- May 4 - St. Paul MN - Conflict Resolution Minnesota's Annual Conference - Reflect and Refresh
- May 6-9 - Denver CO - Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts Annual Conference
- May 7-11 - Macon GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- May 8-10 - Chicago IL - Resolving Workplace Conflict (RWC) - Chicago, IL
- May 8-10 - Ashland OR - Northwest Justice Forum 2018: Restorative Justice: Collaborating for a Resilient Community
- May 9-18 - Corte Madera, CA - 40-hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- May 10 - Online - Employing Restorative Practices for a Conflict-Positive Culture
- May 14-15 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Elder and Adult Care Mediation Training
- May 14-18 - Bristol England - 2018 Elder Mediation World Summit in Bristol-England
- May 14-17 - Richmond VA - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- May 16-18 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- May 17-20 - San Diego CA - Four Day Family Law Mediation Training
- May 18-20 - Kensington MD - 20-Hour Child Access Mediation Training
- May 21- Baltimore MD - Advanced Commercial Mediation
- May 21- Baltimore MD - Strategic Negotiation for Professional Women
- May 22-24 - Boston MA - Certified Trainer in Workplace Conflict Resolution (CT) - Boston, MA
- May 23-24 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Arbitration Training
- June 1 - New York, NY - Negotiation Skills & Strategies for Everyday Bargaining
- June 2-10 - San Francisco, CA - Community Boards' The Basics of Mediation
- June 4-8 - San Diego, CA - Certified Workplace Mediator and Trainer Program (CMT)
- June 4-8 - Macon, GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training (42 Hours)
- June 6-8 - New York NY - Advanced Commercial Mediation Training (3 Days Mandatory)
- June 6-9 - Washington DC - AFCC 55th Annual Conference
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 26,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.