Civil Negotiation and Mediation by Nancy Hudgins
In addition to my civil litigation mediation practice, I also co-mediate divorces with John Duda, M.F.T., an individual and couples therapist.
John and I appreciate each other’s disparate worldviews and the different training we bring to mediations.
In preparing for the mediation of your divorce, it’s helpful to think of these things ahead of time.
1. Envision civil negotiations. Really.
2. Make a checklist of issues to discuss at each session.
3. Sketch out a parenting plan or two.
4. Gather financial documents.
5. Strive for fairness in asset and debt division.
6. Draft a prospective monthly budget for you (and your children).
7. Address the inevitable shortfall (e.g., earning more, making do with less).
8. Consider spousal support and calculate child support.
9. Consult a family lawyer.
10. Monitor your attitude. Stay positive. It’s better for you and MUCH better for your children.
Looking back as one of the early professional family Mediators, I believe we are a movement developed out of reaction to the excesses and misadventures of the way divorce was...By Stephen Erickson