This Week in Mediation #865
January 20, 2021 - OUR 26TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
A Negotiation Innovation: An intelligent negotiation assistant • Non-directive Empathic Listening • Book Review: The Art of Roleplay and Dispute Resolution Training • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|A Negotiation Innovation: An intelligent negotiation assistant
by Veronique Fraser, Barney Jordaan, Michael Leathes
I am sitting in a room, negotiating a sale, and I’m thinking: Which is likely to be more favorable to me: put a figure on the table, or insist the Other does so first?
|Non-directive Empathic Listening
by Gregorio Billikopf
In this paper I will share how I found out that the listening approach I have used for almost two decades was completely unique--based on a happy misunderstanding.
|MEDIATE PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP (Save During January!)
|Book Review: The Art of Roleplay and Dispute Resolution Training
by Colin Rule
Role plays are one of the most common tools used by mediation trainers. In his new book, Marc Bhalla takes a deeper look at how to use role plays effectively and shares some of his tested and effective scenarios.
|CHECK OUT MEDIATE UNIVERSITY AT MediateUniversity.com - Convenient and Affordable Online Mediation Education - Over 30 Courses - 6 Month Course Access - CLE/CEU Credit - Professionals: Use coupon code "MEDIATE" to save 10% during January! - See: Group Discounts.
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|"A MEDIATION RENAISSANCE" - Training with Jim Melamed - February 5 and 19
Online Mediation & The Future - Skills, Strategies & Issues - Sponsored by the Mediation Council of Illinois & Mediate.com - February 5 & 19, 2021 (3 hours each day - 6 hours total) - Online: noon to 3:15 pm each day (Central time). Early Registration available HERE
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
Read All Mediation News
Catholic Charities Hawaii launch $6M rent relief program
Catholic Charities Hawaii announced the launch of a rent relief program for people affected by the pandemic, which will be conducted with state assistance. The Rent Assistance and Mediation Program administered by the social service organization has begun accepting applications.
Conflicts over noise in apartments on the rise amid pandemic
For language tutor Lee Yoon-ji, 30, working from home in Seoul ? because classes have been moved online due to the COVID-19 pandemic ? has been a nightmare over the past several months. Lee's lessons frequently get disturbed by loud noises coming from her upstairs neighbors ? a family of four with two young children and a dog.
ICC celebrates record year for arbitration and mediation caseloads
Records fall as Paris body hails 9% increase in arbitration cases while its ADR centre registers its 400th case
More Dayton residents have conflict during COVID-19. Mediation comes to the rescue.
Disagreements and disputes have ratcheted up during the coronavirus crisis as Dayton community members have dealt with stressful and unprecedented work-life changes, home confinement and economic and social pressures.
Mediation - speak freely, listen, understand, then problem solve
Family Mediation Family mediation is a voluntary confidential form of alternative dispute resolution. A mediator is a neutral and impartial third party who helps the separating couple reach a negotiated solution to their family problems such as the arrangements for children, finances, property, pensions and capital.
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Office of the United Nations Ombudsman and Mediation Services - Congo
- Mediator (Part or Full Time) (Initially Remote) - NY, NJ, PA
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR
Caseload Manager is the proven secure cloud-based case management system for Mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs and practices. Caseload Manager is used by over 170 mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the International Red Cross, and ICANN! See our Representative Clients and arrange for a personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
See Complete Calendar
- January 22 - ONLINE TX - Dynamics of Domestic Violence
- January 22-31 - ONLINE TX - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- January 26-February 4 - 40-Hour Family and Divorce Mediation Training
- January 28 - ONLINE VA - Introduction to Conflict Coaching
- January 28-31 - ONLINE ID - 20 hour Restorative Justice Mediation Training
- January 28-February 12 - ONLINE CA - Mediating the Litigated Case - ONLINE
- January 29 - ONLINE - Advanced Parenting Plan Mediation - With Focus on Children under Five and over 15 Years
- January 29 - ONLINE FL - The Art of MEDIATION
- February 1-28 - ONLINE TX - Online Basic Mediation 40-Hour - Live Video Classroom
- February 4-21 - ONLINE ID - 40 Hour Basic Mediation Training via Zoom
- February 4 - ONLINE TX - The Legal and Ethical Responsibilities of Culture Awareness and Sensitivity within a Diverse Workforce
- February 4 - ONLINE NY - Guess What – Your Online Mediation May Not Be Confidential
- February 5-6 - ONLINE TX - Parenting Coordination and Facilitation Training -Zoom Live
- February 8-11 - ONLINE CANADA - Alternative Dispute Resolution Workshop
- February 11 - ONLINE - Practical Assertiveness: Mean what you say, say what you mean, and don’t say it mean!
- February 12 - ONLINE FL - The Art of MEDIATION
- February 12 - ONLINE TX - Dynamics of Domestic Violence
- February 15-19 - ONLINE TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- February 17-21 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Civil Mediation Certification Training 40 hours (5 days)
- February 18-March 6 - ONLINE CA - Community Boards: The Basics of Mediation - ONLINE
- February 19-March 26 - ONLINE - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop (French)
- February 19-27 - ONLINE OK - 40 Hr National Family and Divorce Mediation Training
- February 22-24 - ONLINE TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training - Online
- February 23-March 17 - ONLINE ON Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop (Virtual)
- February 25 - ONLINE - Are You Talking to ME?!! - Dealing with Difficult People.
- February 26 - ONLINE TX - Arbitration Training ONLINE with ZOOM: live and interactive
- March 1-12 - ONLINE - LIVE Mediating Online: Family & Divorce Mediation
- March 3-6 - ONLINE TX - Advanced Mediation: Family-Divorce-Child Custody Training
- March 3-12 - Online - 40 hour Mediation Training - Live Webinar
- March 3-7 - ONLINE MO - Civil and Family Mediation Training (virtual live instructor-led training)
- March 5 - ONLINE TX - Domestic Violence for Advance Family Training required by TX legislation
- March 6-14 - ONLINE TX - 30-hour Family Mediation Training
- March 8-April 6 - ONLINE TX - Communicate & Manage Conflict with Verbal Aikido
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation.
Please review our submission guidelines. This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 20,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals.
You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.