This Week in Mediation #823
April 1, 2020 - OUR 25TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
Family Mediation 2.0 - Integrating Online Capacities • Pouring a Little Psychological Cold Water on Online Dispute Resolution • Building Trust Online: The Realities of Telepresence for Mediators Engaged in Online Dispute Resolution • Introducing Clients to Zoom Videoconferencing • RECORDED APFM / Mediate.com Town Hall Meeting Now Available • Mediating Family Issues Related to COVID-19 • Mediation in India: An Introduction • Voluntary Mediator Certification - What does that mean? • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Family Mediation 2.0 - Integrating Online Capacities
by Jim Melamed
Now super-charged by the Coronavirus crisis, dramatic changes have come to family mediation programs and practices in the U.S.
Pouring a Little Psychological Cold Water on Online Dispute Resolution
by Jean Sternlight
This article examines the strengths and weaknesses of ODR (online dispute resolution) from a psychological perspective.
|Building Trust Online: The Realities of Telepresence for Mediators Engaged in Online Dispute Resolution
by Susan Nauss Exon and Soomi Lee
Exon and Lee found that trust in an experienced mediator is the same whether a mediation participant interacts with that mediator via video or face-to-face.
|MEDIATE.COM OFFERS NEW ONLINE MEDIATOR CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
To meet rapidly expanding demand for online mediation, Mediate.com and OnlineMediators.com have established a panel of Certified Online Mediators. We train and certify every mediator on our Certified Online Mediator Panel. We are simultaneously working to develop new case volumes for our online mediators. Full information is HERE.
|New Mediating Online Training Dates Offered!
Mediate.com and Online Mediators are offering the following Mediating Online"Courses (2 hours per day for 10 days) that satisfy the Mediate.com Certified Online Mediator training requirement. Live and recorded participation is available! Registration is limited to 36 mediators per training.
|Introducing Clients to Zoom Videoconferencing
by Clare Fowler
A link to this video can be sent to participants who will be meeting online, familiarizing them with the process and discussing confidentiality concerns.
|RECORDED APFM / Mediate.com Town Hall Meeting Now Available
COVID-19 Won't Stop Family Mediators - Part 1: Online Mediation Nuts and Bolts
Mediating Family Issues Related to COVID-19
Part 2 of the APFM / Mediate.com Town Hall Series, "Mediating Family Issues Related to COVID-19" is now scheduled for this Friday, April 3 at 10 a.m. Pacific (1 p.m. Eastern)
Host: Michael Aurit, APFM President
Panel: Steve Erickson, Marilyn McKnight, Jim Melamed, Forrest "Woody" Mosten (invited), Ken Neumann, Don Saposnek, Amanda Singer
Date: Friday, April 3, 10 a.m. - 12 noon Pacific (1 p.m.-3 p.m. Eastern)
Place: https://zoom.us/j/726195312 (via Zoom)
The event is free. No registration is required.
Mediation in India: An Introduction
by Sahil Kanuga and Payel Chatterjee
The landmark decision of the Singapore Convention signing by India on August 07, 2019 puts the future of mediation and mediated settlements in India on a strong pedestal.
|PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP & FEATURED PLACEMENT
Get the most cases! Join Mediate as a Premium Member and Featured Mediator - Only $65/mo or $650/yr for both during March! See: www.mediate.com/Services.
|Voluntary Mediator Certification - What does that mean?
by Lynn Johnson
The MC3, a mediation membership organization in Southern California, has begun certifying mediators who meet a published set of qualifications and requirements.
"Mediation 20/20" - Mediate.com's 25th Anniversary Conference
by Jim Melamed
See the new Conference Program! Mediate.com's 25th Anniversary Conference, "Mediation 20/20: Which Ways Now?" will take place online from September 30 to October 2, 2020 (2-3 hours per day). The "Mediation 20/20" Conference is a focused think-tank conference dedicated to defining best courses for mediation's continued growth over the next decade. Full information and early registration (only $100 until May 1) is: HERE.
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|CHECK OUT MEDIATE UNIVERSITY! - 20% OFF EVERY COURSE DURING MARCH
All Mediate University online courses are 20% off if ordered during March at: www.Mediate.com/University. 6 Month Access! Special this month:
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
READ ALL MEDIATION NEWS
- How to navigate coparenting during the coronavirus crisis
PHOENIX (Good Morning Arizona) -- With the entire country now practicing social distancing, it's creating an unusual and sometimes difficult situation for parents who share joint custody of their kids.
- Pandemic compounds challenges facing divorced and separating couples — mediator
Asnat Hacohen highlights issues ranging from the impact of job losses on alimony payments to worries about protecting children in the homes of ex-spouses who have new partners
- AI as mediator: ‘Smart’ replies might help humans communicate
When an online conversation derails, participants might look to artificial intelligence to help get back on track, Cornell research shows
- The Attributes of ADR That Make It Advantageous for IP Cases
This article explores the factors that make mediation, and sometimes mediation in combination with arbitration, a good alternative to IP litigation and shows you how to get to the end of your client’s dispute.
- Resolving Financial Disputes Through Mediation
A case study from the perspective of in-house counsel.
- Charles Oakley, Knicks owner James Dolan off hook for mediation talks
However, their attorneys are still required to participate in a court-ordered phone mediation.
- Building a new deal: Mediation, ADR gains popularity in construction disputes
Litigation is perhaps a knee-jerk reaction to resolving a contractual disagreement. But recent data suggests owners, architects, contractors and others involved in the construction process are gravitating more toward alternative dispute resolution. Mediation, in particular, is emerging as a preferred – and in many cases, required – option.
- Mediation Thrives in Virtual Conference Rooms as Virus Blocks In-Person Meetings
It's going to be a long time before the government can compel individuals to be sequestered in a closed room with 11 strangers, so but for civil litigators, there’s another pathway that remains open for resolving your client’s cases: settlements.
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR
Are your mediation or ombuds professionals now working from home offices? Do you want a proven cloud-based case management system to remotely manage all of your organization's cases? With Caseload Manager, you can keep track of all cases, contacts and calendars, from 6 feet away or across the country. Caseload Manager is used by over 160 mediation, ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), International Red Cross, and ICANN itself! See our Representative Clients and arrange for your personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
|JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Mediation & Support Specialist - CA
- Ombudsperson - OR
- Claims Specialist II - CA
- EEO Specialist - OR
- Civil ADR Officer - DC
- Mediator - VA
- Circuit Mediator - FL
- Equal Employment Opportunity Coordinator - NY
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
- Fellows Program - NY
- Human Resources Specialist - WA
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
- April 2-4 - Toronto ON Canada - Learn to Meet & Interview Children: Voice of the Child 12 Step VCR
- April 3 - San Francisco CA - Facing Your Toughest Mediation Challenge
- April 4-May 9 - Somerset NJ - NJAPM 40-Hour Divorce Mediation Training, Spring 2020
- April 6-9 - New Braunfels TX - Basic Mediation Training - 40 Hours
- April 7-May 26 - ONLINE - Basic Transformative Mediation Training Online
- April 13-17 - Tucson AZ - 42-Hour Mediation Training
- April 14-15 - Fairfax VA - Conflict Resolution Fundamentals
- April 14-May 2 - Santa Ana CA - 40 Hour Basic Mediation Training
- April 14-15 - Fairfax VA - Conflict Resolution Fundamentals
- April 20 - ONLINE - 10 Hour Arbitration Training
- April 20-23 - Edmonton AB Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- April 20-24 - Reno NV - 40-Hour Beginning Mediation and Conflict Resolution Certificate
- April 21-22 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- April 23 - New York NY - Adding Mediating to Your Career: How to Get Started
- April 23-25 - Kamuela HI - Basic Mediation Training
- April 23-27 - Rockville MD - 40-Hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- April 27-May 1 - Macon GA - Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- April 27-30 - Toronto ON Canada - Conflict Management Coaching Workshop
- April 30 - New York NY - Negotiation Skills & Strategies for Everyday Bargaining
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 20,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.