This Week in Mediation #778
May 15, 2019
Celebrating Our 24th Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
National Mediation Policy Act Endorsed by APFM, MBB • The Guide to Reflective Practice in Conflict Resolution by Michael Lang - Book Review • Interview with John Lande: The Future of Mediation and Negotiation in Our Culture, Politics and Society • What Is Divorce Mediation and Why Might it Be Good for You? • 8 Things To Consider When Communicating With Your Ex • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|National Mediation Policy Act Endorsed by APFM, MBB|
by Jim Melamed
The Academy of Professional Family Mediators (APFM) and Mediators Beyond Borders (MBB) are now foundational sponsors of the National Mediation Policy Act! Join our efforts to set America on a better path by supporting the NMPA!
|The Guide to Reflective Practice in Conflict Resolution by Michael Lang - Book Review (5/10/19)|
by David Hubbard
This is a book review of "The Guide to Reflective Practice in Conflict Resolution" by Michael Lang. By exposing the reader to various models, methods, examples, and by exploring the enriching benefits of reflective practice, Lang’s guide will help any practitioner further their development and effectiveness.
|Interview with John Lande: The Future of Mediation and Negotiation in Our Culture, Politics and Society (5/06/19)|
This is an interview with John Lande, a leading academic in the fields of law and mediation, by Robert Benjamin as part of Mediate's "The Future of Mediation and Negotiation in Our Culture, Politics and Society" video series.
|Save On Mediate.com Premium Membership - Two Weeks Only|
Save $61/yr by joining Mediate.com by June 1. See the data on why
|Northwestern University's 40-hour Mediation Skills Training Course - 2019 Dates|
Northwestern's 40-hour Mediation Skills Training allows legal professionals and career changers to learn critical dispute resolution, arbitration, and mediation skills. Grounded in fundamental and practical techniques, the certificate can be used for mandatory continuing education credits. Northwestern’s mediation instructors are industry experts and challenge students to practice mediation skills using real-world examples. Students work closely with coaches in individual and group settings and learn the ethics of commercial mediation and arbitration.
- Upcoming 2019 Dates: August 5 – August 9.
- The intensive, five-day course is held Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Full info is HERE
|What Is Divorce Mediation and Why Might it Be Good for You? (5/10/19)|
by Lori Frio-Walker
Divorce and custody mediation creates a safe, cooperative setting for participants to discuss emotional and substantive issues and engage in collaborative problem-solving. Participants open lines of communication, gain clarity and a better understanding of their own and each other's interests.
|8 Things To Consider When Communicating With Your Ex (5/10/19)|
by Leyla Balakhane
Divorce taints the line of communication between couples, as the multitude of emotions circulating between them makes it toughto remain civil.
|State and Province Banners Now Available!|
Mediate now offers a limited number of graphical banners that appear on every page of Mediate.com for every visitor from a state or province. This is the best way available to establish your mediation "brand." Save 20% until June 1. Free banner design included with annual placement. See www.mediate.com/Banners to save.
|Interview with Douglas Yarn: The Future of Mediation and Negotiation in Our Culture, Politics and Society(5/08/19)|
This is a new interview with Doug Yarn, a leading academic in the fields of racial injustice and dispute resolution, by Robert Benjamin as part of Mediate's "The Future of Mediation and Negotiation in Our Culture, Politics and Society" video series.
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|Caseload Manager: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR|
Caseload Manager is used by over 140 mediation and ombuds programs, including the IMF, International Red Cross and ICANN! See our Representative Systems
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search All News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
|Popular Mediate University Courses(6 Month Access)
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Mediator - VT
- Prisoner Re-entry Mediation Specialist - MD
- Director of Mediation - OR
- VP of Conflict Resolution Development - NY
- Senior Mediation Specialist - NV
- Mediation Specialist - NV
- Education Mediation Specialist - MD
- Ombuds and Mediation Intern - NY
- Mediator - Varies
|Training & Conference Calendar
- May 16 - Roanoke VA - Introduction to Conflict Coaching
- May 16 - Fairfax VA - Building Trust and Overcoming Distrust
- May 16-19 - San Diego CA - Four Day Family Law Mediation Training
- May 16-17 - Houston TX - Elder and Adult Family Mediation Training
- May 18-19 - San Diego CA - Building A Successful (and Profitable) Collaborative and Mediation Practice
- May 20-21- Denver CO - Advanced Civil Mediation
- May 20-23 - North Haven CT - Quinipiac Law 2nd Conflict Management Institute
- May 20-22 - Austin Area TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training
- May 21-23 - Newton MA - Elder Decisions® Elder Mediation Training (Adult Family Mediation Training)
- May 21-23 - Dallas TX - Family Mediation Training (30 hours)
- May 21 - Fairfax VA - Considering Cultural Issues in Mediation
- May 22-26 - Ft. Lauderdale FL - Civil Mediation Certification Training (40 hrs)
- May 29-June 1 - Toronto ON Canada - AFCC 56th Annual Conference
- May 30-31- Alicante Spain - IP Mediation Conference
- May 31 - Fort Lauderdale FL - 8hr Advanced Mediation Training (9 hrs CLE/8hrCME)
- June 1-9 - San Francisco CA - The Basics of Mediation
- June 3 - Austin Area TX 10 Hour Arbitration Training
- June 4-5 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- June 5-7 - New York NY - Advanced Commercial Mediation Training (3 Days Mandatory)
- June 10-12 - Atlanta GA - Juvenile Dependency Mediation
- June 11 - Fairfax VA - Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR): Beyond Mediation
- June 12-14 - Houston TX - Advanced Mediation: Family-Divorce-Child Custody Training
- June 13 - Houston TX - Domestic Violence for Advance Family Training required by TX legislation
- June 17-21 - Atlanta GA - 40 Hour Basic Mediation Skills Course
- June 17-21 - Oshkosh WI - 40-Hour Basic Mediation Training
- June 18-19 - Fairfax VA - Restorative Justice
- June 18-19 - Malibu CA - Appreciating our Legacy and Engaging the Future: An International Conference for Dispute Resolution Teachers, Scholars, and Leaders
- June 19-21 - Greenbelt MD - 2019 Annual Conference
- June 20-23 - San Antonio TX - Basic Mediation 4 day Course
- June 20 - Roanoke VA - Practical Conflict Resolution*
- June 20-22 - Malibu CA - 32nd Annual Summer Professional Skills Program in Malibu
- June 20 - Roanoke VA - Deep Listening Skills
- June 20-21- Dallas TX - Parent Coordinator/Parent Facilitator Training (16 hours)
- June 20 - New York NY - Selected Ethics Issues in Mediation & Settlement Negotiations
- June 21 - Tampa FL - 8 hour CME/9hour CLE Advanced Training
- June 22-30 - Berkeley CA - Ron's Mediation Training at Berkeley
- June 24-26 - San Antonio TX - Advanced Mediation 3 Day Course
- June 27-28 - Atlanta GA - Domestic Relations Practicum (2 days)
- June 27-29 - Fairfax VA - Family Mediation Skills
- July 9 - Fairfax VA - Domestic Violence Assessment
|Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 30,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.