This Week in Mediation #837
July 8, 2020 - OUR 25TH YEAR!
|In This Issue:
Conflict Resolution in the Time of COVID-19--Voices from Seven Continents of the World: Europe • Telephone Mediation in an Age of Social Distancing: Does It Work? • Seven Keys to Unlock Mediation’s Golden Age • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Conflict Resolution in the Time of COVID-19--Voices from Seven Continents of the World: Europe
by Gregg Relyea and Carla Marcucci
This article examines how the 7 continents are dealing with conflict during COVID. This one examines the view from Europe.
|Telephone Mediation in an Age of Social Distancing: Does It Work?
by Kyle Persaud
Is all the technology really necessary, and worth the price?
|MEDIATING ONLINE TRAINING: eCommerce, Property & Workplace Disputes - July 13 - 24, 2020
TRAINING with Jim Melamed, Colin Rule and Clare Fowler - Register by July 9 - Only 5 Participant Spots Remain
This 20 hour training (2 hours each weekday) is for experienced mediators interested in most capably extending your mediation practice to offer online mediation services. This course qualifies for Mediate.com's Online Mediator Certification. See the Testimonials!
|Seven Keys to Unlock Mediation’s Golden Age
by Nadja Alexander, Michael Leathes and Lela Love
Mediate.com is proudly publishing a series of peer reviewed articles under the collective title Seven Keys to Unlock Mediation’s Golden Age. The objective of the Seven Keys is to encourage discussion among all stakeholders on navigating mediation’s best future. Here are this week's "Fifth Keys:"
|Has Your Practice Moved Online?
This is the time to get one or more of our new Online Featured Placements at a special 25th Anniversary price - only $39/mo or $390/yr!. With your Online Featured Placement, your name and practice information are displayed at the top of every page of Mediate.com for every visitor from your area code(s)! Mediate.com offers 8 "Online" Featured Placement opportunities as follow.
Positioning is awarded on a first come, first served basis. Full information is at: www.mediate.com/Direct.
- Online Mediation
- Online Family/Divorce
- Online Arbitration
- Online Civil Mediation
- Online Commercial Mediation
- Online Elder Mediation
- Online Workplace Mediation
- Online Parenting Coordinator
|FEATURED MEDIATION BLOGS
Read All Featured Blogs
|MEDIATE UNIVERSITY- 20% OFF EVERY STREAMING COURSE DURING JULY
See the NEW APFM / Mediate.com Video Series - 6 New Courses! 6 Month Access!
|MEDIATION IN TODAY'S NEWS
READ ALL MEDIATION NEWS
Pepperdine Caruso School of Law Announces $1 Million Gift from the Honorable Daniel Weinstein (Ret.)
The Honorable Daniel Weinstein (Ret.) has made a generous $1 million gift to the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at the Pepperdine University Caruso School of Law. The gift will be used to strengthen the academic program and global reputation of the Straus Institute, which has been ranked as the #1 dispute resolution program in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for 13 of the past 16 years.
How Mediation Firm JAMS Became the Dominant Player in the LA Market
An international business, JAMS is considered the dominant company in Los Angeles and the nation when it comes to private mediation and arbitration services.
FIFA agrees to mediation in dispute with TTFA
FIFA has agreed to settle their dispute with the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) through mediation. According to lawyers from New City Chambers representing the William-Wallace led executive, FIFA indicated on Monday its willingness to settle the matter amicably.
EEOC Alters Mediation Process Under New Temporary Program
EEOC Chair Janet Dhillon announced a pilot program to change aspects of the agency’s mediation program, including expanding the types of worker bias allegations. Existing procedures limit the kinds of discrimination allegations that qualify. The pilot Dhillon unveiled Tuesday makes more worker allegations eligible for mediation. The program also introduces more technology into the process, “to hold virtual mediations."
Migrating Away From Traditional Models Of Mediation
During this time of Covid-19, it makes sense to further blend and customize the mediation process. Now more than ever, it is necessary to shift toward more customized approaches that accommodate the challenges and issues arising from the ongoing pandemic.
Neighborhood Justice Center offering mediation for renters and landlords during COVID-19
LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Renters who may be having difficulty paying rent or landlords who may be having issues collecting payment can turn to the Neighborhood Justice Center for free mediation by phone. The center is encouraging all landlords and tenants to enter into payment plans following Gov. Steve Sisolak’s emergency directive that placed a moratorium on evictions for non-payment.
How forced arbitration can hurt Black and brown workers
The Economic Policy Institute finds that 65% of companies with more than 1,000 employees have mandatory arbitration procedures — meaning workers must settle employment disputes through a private mediation system, out of the public eye. The practice that garnered criticism during the #MeToo movement for concealing patterns of sexual harassment in the workplace is again under fire for making it harder for employees to hold employers accountable for racial discrimination.
A Guide To Drafting Enforceable Arbitration Clauses
Many businesses choose to include arbitration clauses in their agreements with their customers, vendors or employees. They do so because, as data increasingly shows, arbitration is on average a significantly faster and cheaper means of resolving a dispute in a confidential, flexible and expert manner. And, as courthouses have closed during the coronavirus pandemic, arbitration has become, in many jurisdictions, the only ongoing means of resolving disputes.
Mediation: A conflict resolution preference during COVID-19 crisis
Closure of courts and tribunals to curb the spread of the virus will invariably delay justice to companies and individuals alike. In these times, traditional reliance on litigation is a far from optimal way of dealing with conflict. Fortunately, negotiation and mediation are at last beginning to emerge as responses to conflict in its myriad forms and to the challenge of building a more peaceful world.
|CASELOAD MANAGER: #1 Case Management Platform for Mediation, Ombuds & ODR
Caseload Manager is the proven secure cloud-based case management system for Mediation, Ombuds and ODR programs and practices. Caseload Manager is used by over 170 mediation, ombuds and ODR programs, including 5 statewide systems, NASA, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the International Red Cross, and ICANN! See our Representative Clients and arrange for a personal tour of Caseload Manager today!
JOBS (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Family Law/Probate Mediator - Kern County CA
- Mediation Coordinator - OR
- Fellows Program - NY
- Human Resources Specialist - WA
|TRAINING AND CONFERENCE CALENDAR
- July 10-August 1 - Portland OR - Mediation Training - ONLINE
- July 10 - ONLINE CA - Psychology of Conflict: Topics of the Moment
- July 12-17 - Macon GA - Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- July 13-24 - ONLINE Mediating Online Training from Mediate.com
- July 13-17 - ONLINE TX - 40 Basic Mediation Training
- July 14-16 - Dallas TX - Family Mediation Training (30 Hours)
- July 16 - ONLINE - Resolving Disputes During & Post COVID-19 Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) Leads the Way
- July 17 - ONLINE CA - Leadership, Ethics, and Decision Making in Crises
- July 22-August 7 - ONLINE - 40-hour Online Divorce Mediation Training
- July 23-August 7 - ONLINE CA - Mediating the Litigated Case
- July 23-25 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Certified County Mediation Training Program
- July 27-29 - ONLINE TX - 30 Hour Advanced Mediation Training - Online
- July 28-30 - ONLINE MA - Elder Decisions® Elder Mediation Training (Adult Family Mediation Training)
- August 1-31 - ONLINE TX - Basic Mediation 40 Hour Online Course
- August 3 - Austin Area TX - 10 Hour Arbitration Training
- August 3-7 - Macon GA - Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- August 4-5 - Austin Area TX - 20 Hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- August 7-21 - ONLINE - Zoom - Essentials of Stepfamily Coaching - August 7, 14 & 21
- August 13 - Salem VA - Become a Better Listener: Understanding, Trust, and Connection through Deep Listening
- August 14 - ONLINE CA - Civility and Culture in the Public Sphere
- August 18-29 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediation Training
- August 18-21 - Fairfax VA - Mediation Skills and Process
- August 27-November 12 - ONLINE CA - Conflict Management Certificate Program (Professional Development)
- August 27 - ONLINE - Managing Difficult Conversations: How to Make them Less Difficult
- September 8-18 - ONLINE FL - Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediation Training Program
- September 8-17 - ONLINE - Mosten/Guthrie 40 Hour Family & Divorce Mediation Training
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com. We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation.
Please review our submission guidelines. This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 21,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals.
You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.