Orlando E. Blake, PhD CPT
Click here to email
The Blake Group
Click for Full Website
PO Box 85895
Tucson, AZ 85754
Description of Practice
Benefits of Workplace Mediation
According to a 2011 Conflict Management survey, the main benefit in using mediation is improving relationships between individuals, cited by 80% of respondents, to reduce or eliminate the stress involved in more formal processes (64%) and to avoid the costs involved in defending employment claims (52%).
Other benefits to include: • retaining valuable employees (63%) • reducing the number of formal grievances raised (57%) • developing an organizational culture that focuses on managing and developing people (55%)
As a mediator I am dedicated to helping people resolve conflicts, improve relationships marred by conflict and move forward leading to sound business, professional and personal relationships.
I understand that the word “conflict” raises all sorts of emotions. For some, conflict provides excitement and stimulation, while for others conflict causes discomfort and anxiety. Whatever the reaction, understanding and managing conflict successfully is a key personal and organizational competence.
All efforts are directed toward bringing parties in dispute together and encouraging them to construct solutions that will satisfy their needs and bring an end to controversy. I ensure that the parties work to solve their issues and concerns in an atmosphere of shared information and decision-making.
THE BLAKE GROUP, ELGIN, AZ 1993-Present.
- Mediation, Coaching, Facilitation & Training, specializing in employment, workplace, & business disputes.
- Founding Fellow of the Institute for Professional Coaching Association at Mclean Hospital, a Harvard Medical School Affiliate.
- Senior utive positions for Warner Bros, Mercantile National Bank and Guess? Inc.
- Awarded the experienced professional designation of Certified Performance Technologist (CPT) from the International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI).
INLAND VALLEY ARBITRATION & MEDIATION SERVICE (IVAMS), Pomona, CA 1997-2001 - Mediation Panel
LOS ANGELES COUNTY SUPERIOR COURTS 1994-2001 Mediator & Mediator Mentor Panels
ADJUNCT FACULTY 1998-2014 University of California, Riverside Extension - Department of Law & Public Policy
Claremont Graduate University 2001-Present School of Behavioral & Organizational Sciences
HUMAN RESOURCES, MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT & LABOR RELATIONS More than 25 years experience. Senior utive positions with GUESS?, Inc., Warner Bros., Inc., Knudsen Corp., Baxter Healthcare, Mercantile National Bank, and Sully-Miller/Blue Diamond Contractors & Materials.
- THE BLAKE GROUP Reduced legal costs by 45% by instituting workplace mediation and dispute resolution programs for employment and workplace complaints.
- Mediated employment, workplace and business disputes achieving an 77% success rate.
- SUPERIOR COURTS, COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA Mediation/Arbitration Panel Mediator Mentor Panel Mediator Mentor
- INLAND VALLEY ARBITRATION & MEDIATION SERVICES (IVAMS), Pomona CA
- Claremont Graduate University, PhD. Published Dissertation: "Turning Points in Mediation: an examination of disputant resolution behaviors in mediation"
- University of Southern California, MPA
|1994- On Going||Many over 25+ years||Too Many To List; Continuing Education Annually|
“You provided outstanding support and advice. An outstanding engagement.” Dr. Robert Bell, Sr. VP, Pasadena City College
“I very much enjoyed meeting you the other day at the Lane Stanton Vance/Morrill Mediation and I thought you did an excellent job. It was a pleasant experience and I am glad that we were able to have the matter resolved." - William K. Henley, Esq., Hahn & Hahn
“…Promptly brought the parties together, correctly identified the critical issues had actively intervened in the parties’ (or their counsel’s) discussions/negotiations only when, as and if needed – used discretion wisely.” - Donald Snider, Esq., Baer, Marks & Upham, LLP
“Superior performance by the mediator in trying circumstance” - Christopher Oberg, Western University Health Sciences.
“It was great to have your comments, input and insight to supplement my attorney…excellent and very responsive and professional.” - S. A. Weiner, Plaintiff
“Very well done and excellent facilitation skills…kept the parities focused on the issues and directed the communication appropriately.” - Mary Cooper, Esq., City of Los Angeles, California
“There are very few times that I provide recommendations either personally or professionally. However, this is one of those rare times that I enjoy providing one… In short, I can genuinely recommend Orlando for any mediation or business consulting assignment.” Hon. James McVittie (Ret.), IVAMS
Areas of Practice
- Business (23 mediated)
- Commercial (11 mediated)
- EEOC (46 mediated)
- Employment (63 mediated)
- Labor - Management (17 mediated)
- Organizational (203 mediated)
- Sexual Harrassment (21 mediated)
- Workplace (210 mediated)
- Mediation Trainer
- Staff Developer
- Collaborative Professional
- Conflict Coach
- Strategic Planning
- Communication Skills Trainer
- Mediation Consultant
References available upon request.
This dispute resolution professional keeps liability insurance.
AttachmentsBenefits of Using Mediation in Workplace Disputes.pdf