Click here to email
Hartog, Baer & Hand, APC
Click for Full Website
4 Orinda Way, Suite 200-D
Orinda, CA 94563
Description of Practice
Margaret M. Hand is an experienced trust, estate and conservatorship attorney and has been mediating disputes arising in these areas since 2004. Her published materials are relied upon by thousands of trust and estate attorneys in California and when parties want an evaluative mediation, Ms. Hand has the necessary expertise. When parties prefer a more facilitative approach, Ms. Hand has the training, patience and finesse they need. She is a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law and one of Northern California’s Super Lawyers.
Trust & Estates Private Practice
- Mediation of probate, trust and conservatorship disputes
- Estate planning for individuals and families, including:
- drafting revocable trusts and wills;
- drafting irrevocable life insurance trusts, grantor-retained annuity trusts, grantor-retained uni-trusts, charitable remainder trusts;
- family limited partnerships;
- Probate and trust administration, including advising fiduciaries (trustees, executors, conservators, guardians and attorneys-in-fact) on an on-going basis.
- Conservatorships and guardianships;
- Estate-related litigation, such as will contests, contested conservatorships, actions against fiduciaries for breach of fiduciary duty, defense and prosecution of elder-abuse actions (primarily financial elder-abuse).
- Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law, State Bar of California, Board of Legal Specialization
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
Margaret has mediated over 100 trust and estate cases through Alameda and Contra Costa Counties Alternative Dispute Resolution Panels. She has spent over 100 hours on mediation training, with the most recent being at Harvard, Mediating Disputes, in 2016. She now serves on the Alameda County Bar Association's ADR Executive Committee.
Margaret is a graduate of U. C. Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law.
|2/2018||Jim Melamed||EBTEL Mediation Training - 8 hours|
|November 2016||Mnookin||Harvard, Mediating Disputes - 40 hours|
|6/2015||Steven Rosenberg||Advanced Mediation Training - 40 hours|
|December 2012||Hon. Barry Goode, Peter Mankin, Esq.||Mediating Self-Represented Litigants - 2 hours|
|January 2011||Steven Rosenberg, Kathy Siegel, Jayne Lee, et al.||Probate Mediation Training - 4 hours|
|April 2009||Steven Rosenberg||Advanced Mediation Training - 40 hours|
|March 2007||Steven Rosenberg||Advanced Mediation Training - 15 hours|
|February 2004||Steven Rosenberg||Basic Mediation Training - 40 hours|
Margaret uses both evaluative and facilitative approaches.
Counsel should contact Ms. Hand to discuss fees and billing practices.
Areas of Practice
- Adult Family
- Estate Planning (50 mediated)
- Probate (20 mediated)
- Trust Management (40 mediated)
- Estate Planner
- Staff Developer
- Strategic Planning
- Mediating Lawyer