Nihal specialises in international commercial arbitration, with a particular focus on the energy, mining and technology sectors. He has been involved in representing clients based in various jurisdictions under the rules of major arbitral institutions including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) and the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC).
Nihal joined Herbert Smith Freehills in 2015 and is currently based in London, having also spent six months with the international arbitration group in Hong Kong.
Nihal's experience includes advising and representing:
- a leading Chinese oil and gas company and its overseas subsidiary as claimants in a multi-billion dollar arbitration administered by the SIAC related to their investment in a European oil company
- a mining company on an ICC arbitration in London in relation to the development of a major power project in India and related claims
- an Asian private equity firm in HKIAC arbitration proceedings against another leading private equity firm, arising out of the sale of its shareholding in a Korean company
- a global technology company in relation to contractual and anti-trust claims concerning the provision of services on mobile phones, including potential LCIA arbitration
- a West African gas company on disputes under long term gas supply agreements
Contact Nihal Joseph