Honor the space between no longer and not yet, Nancy Levin.
This quote can apply to so many situations. This week’s Conflict Mastery Quest(ions) blog considers it within the context of a conflict on its way to being resolved – but not quite there.
It’s an important place – the transitional space between negative emotions upset, overwhelm or being preoccupied and the space where we feel settled, resolved or relieved. The space between can be rich with learning, insights and acceptance and it’s important to honour it and ourselves within this place and the transition.
If you are in this space between unpeace and peace, these questions are ones to reflect on as you take stock:
- What is the situation?
- How might you describe the space without peace as yet?
- How do you describe what peace will be? What will that be like for you?
- What are the challenges for you in the transition between unpeace and peace?
- How is that feeling – the transitional space?
- What do you want to be feeling in the peace space that you are not feeling right now?
- How do you want the other person to be experiencing peace? How might you facilitate that, if you want to?
- What did you learn about yourself in the unpeace space? What did you learn about yourself in the transition space?
- How might the transitional space be most effectively used?
- What have you learned or are you learning about the other person in the conflict between you?
- What else occurs to you as you consider these questions?
- What insights do you have?k