How can we best support the development of online mediation and online mediation training for youth and in our schools? This Youth and Schools 2-hour Forum builds upon the 2-day "Young Minds, Global Voices Online Conference."
Online Mediation Training for Youth and Schools
Hosts: Clare Fowler and Jonathan Rodrigues
How can we best support the development of online mediation and online mediation training for youth and in our schools?
This May 28 Youth and Schools 2-hour Forum follows and builds upon the May 15-16 "Young Minds, Global Voices Online Conference"
New Mediators' Guidance from May 15-16 Youth Conference
by Jonathan Rodrigues, Clare Fowler, Maria Apostolidou, Ilan David Bass, Amee Dharamshi, Melanie Koch, Nisshant Laroia, Benjamin Lutz, Gwendolyn Myers, Olivia Chisom Osuala, Lydia Ray, Sumhiya Sallay, Jay Patrick Santiago, Salman Shaheen
This article summarizes the Young Minds, Global Voices Conference. This conference was sponsored by Mediate.com in an effort to hear from newer mediators. These 6 sessions comprised up and coming thought leaders from around the globe, forming a brain trust for how to create peace in ourselves, our community and our world.
Presentation Materials from the Forum:
Full Forum Video:
- Online Peer Mediation Project by Judy Tindall
- Ensure the Future Through Mentoring and Practice Programs for New Mediators by Angela Herberholz
Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR) Recommended Standards for School-Based Peer Mediation
Peer mediation can be a successful approach to managing interpersonal con?ict in elementary and secondary schools. These programs provide a unique opportunity for diverse students to use communication, human relations, and problem-solving skills in real-life settings. Effective programs can help to create a safe and welcoming school environment, improve interpersonal and inter-group relations, and assist in reducing school con?icts and violence, especially when part of a comprehensive violence prevention plan.
Additional topics raised by registrants for consideration:
- How can we best support the development of online mediation and online mediation training for youth and in our schools?
- What about online mediation and online mediation training in higher education?
- How do we best market online mediation and online mediation training to local schools?
- How does online mediation apply to Special Education mediation?
- How is online mediation currently being used in schools?
- As to peer mediation post-pandemic, how do we re-incorporate mediation as a priority when teachers are so burdened with catching up on curriculum?
- What are tips for engaging parents in a conflict with school staff and administrators?
- I am hoping to get guidance on youth mediation - not youth being trained to mediate peers, but mediating 2 youth/students/siblings that have issues they can’t get past.