The Mediate.com Task Force on Online Mediation Training is pleased to invite you to join colleagues from around the world for our Forum on Standards, Ethics & New Technologies for Online Mediation. Among the featured presenters are Colin Rule, Leah Wing, Dan Rainey and Melissa Kucinski.
The essence of this third Mediate Forum on issues of online mediation and online mediation training is an inquiry into what ethical, professional and technical standards are needed or helpful as we move forward.
Robust background forum materials have been posted at the May 7 Forum webpage at: www.mediate.com/onlinetraining/pg9.cfm.
What ethical, professional and technical standards are needed for online mediation and online mediation training?
- Introductory Slides - Task Force Information (Jim Melamed's slides)
- Multi-Jurisdictional Issues in Mediation (from Melissa Kucinski)
- Creating a Universal Code of Disclosure (7 Keys Collection)
- Creating Universal Code of Disclosure (Cyberweek)
- Establishing Standards for Online Domestic Relations Mediation (Jim Melamed)
- Mediate.com Online Dispute Resolution Section: www.mediate.com/ODR
- National Center for Technology and Dispute Resolution: ODR.info
- International Council for Online Dispute Resolution: ICODR.org
- Sample 12-hr Online Mediation Curriculum
- Sample 20-hr Online Mediation Curriculum
- Sample 20-hr Online Family & Divorce Mediation Curriculum
- ‘Applying the criteria’—a brief intro to standards developed by IMI and several of their key uses
- Easy-read online mediation competences for individuals
- Criteria for ODR-QAPs (programs assessing online mediation competence - see videos at the top of the page)
- Training program criteria and trainer/coach/assessor criteria
- Links to some of the research in relation to online mediation
- Information on IMI Logbook
- Logbook launch post (also announces re-launch of YMI/IMI mentorship framework):
- Standards of Practice - PDF
- APFM Standards for Introductory Family Mediation Training Programs
- Certification and Accreditation of Professional Family Mediators
- Certified Advanced Practitioner Requirements / Application
- Model Standards of Conduct for Mediators
- Model Standards for Mediator Certification Programs
- Model Standards of Practice for Family and Divorce
- Recommended Standards for School-Based Peer Mediation
Additional Topics raised by registrants for consideration:
- What ethical, professional and technical standards are needed for online mediation and online mediation training?
- Are there, or will there be, broadly accepted and fairly expected standard "ground rules" for online mediation?
- What are best practices for confidentiality, privacy and security issues in online mediation?
- How do various aspects of privacy and confidentiality online interact with state and international boundaries?
- How can we best stay current with ongoing online mediation innovation?
- How do we best assist people that are visually impaired?
- How do we best assist participants to gain access to services and help them to capably use online platforms?
- How do we mediate online with people with hearing disabilities. Can this be done without subtitles? Do we need a person with the capability of sign language? Might we in time use an AVATAR for sign language instead of a person?
- Should there be "technical equity" in online mediation, so that all parties and mediators have the same level of technical access?
- How are mediators addressing the issues of Digital Trust, Data Trust and AI Ethics?
- What are various platforms for online mediation besides Zoom?
- What measurement is best used to determine the effectiveness of an online mediation?
- What measurement is best used to determine the effectiveness of an online mediation program's diversity, equity & inclusion?
- What are the pros/cons of online mediators being licensed like other professions?
- What are predicted norms in online mediation?
- What are the participant privacy/confidentiality issues when mediating for participants at their homes, and also for mediators mediating from home?
- What quality assurance systems exist for online mediation and online mediation training? What systems should exist?