This Week in Mediation #691
August 16, 2017
Celebrating Our 22nd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Into the Mediator's Gray Zone • Mediate.com Helps Divorcing Couples Resolve and Learn From Conflicts • The Psychology and Neurobiology of Mediation • How to Talk About Mental Health Without Offending Everyone - TEDx • Master the 7 Steps to Conflict Transformation • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Into the Mediator's Gray Zone|
by Peter Adler
Like other mediators and arbitrators, I work in the gray zone of human affairs, the interstitial area between hard positions, contending oppositions, and powerfully different assertions about what is “the truth.”
|Mediate.com Helps Divorcing Couples Resolve and Learn From Conflicts |
by Sean Garrity
Founded more than 20 years ago as a vehicle to connect professional mediators with individuals who need dispute resolution services, Mediate.com today presents more than 15,000 articles and top-tier resources for its 5 million annual visitors.
|The Psychology and Neurobiology of Mediation |
by Elizabeth Bader
From a psychological perspective, the most important problem in mediation is that people take the conflict personally and the outcome of the mediation as a reflection of who they are. This article deals with the psychology and neurobiology of this phenomenon, and how to deal with it in mediation.
|Mediate.com Membership and Certification Website Trustmarks|
There is no better way to establish your credibility and trustworthiness as a mediator than sharing your Premium Membership and Certified Mediator status with potential clients on your own website. When visitors click on your trustmark(s), they are taken directly to your personal Mediate.com Directory Listing confirming your status. More information at www.mediate.com/Membership, www.mediate.com/Certification.
|Comparative Data on Mediation Websites|
See updated data from Alexa showing the most visited and most linked mediation websites.
|CADRE Symposium - Registration Now Open!|
On October 18-20, 2017 CADRE will host, Restoring Focus on the Child: The Seventh National Symposium on Dispute Resolution in Special Education, in Eugene, Or. Get more information about the event, as well as session materials and video resources from recent Symposia.
|How to Talk About Mental Health Without Offending Everyone - TEDx |
by Dan Berstein
Mediator Dan Berstein shares his journey to being open with his bipolar disorder, and how conflict resolution skills can help us overcome barriers to having conversations about mental health. In this profound story, learn how to get past the assumptions, paternalism, and stigma to make room for the other person's story and connect.
|Master the 7 Steps to Conflict Transformation |
by Aldo Civico
Whenever I ask participants in my workshops what words they associate with conflict, they come up with expressions that have most of the time a negative quality. They associate conflict with fear, anxiety, frustration, sadness, loneliness, anger, etc. But it doesn’t have to be like that.
|Get More Cases with Featured Mediator Placement|
Featured Placement puts your picture, name and website at the top of every page of Mediate.com for every visitor from your local area! Full information is here.
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs|
|Caseload Manager is the #1 Mediation and Ombuds Case Managment System!|
Caseload Manager is your most capable and affordable answer for mediation and ombuds program case management. Full information is at www.CaseloadManager.com.
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
|Online Basic 40-hr Beginning Mediation Course at Special Price!|
Join Dr. Clare Fowler for an excellent 40-hr Basic Mediation Training for only $345! Certificate and CLE credit available. Full information is here.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- ADR Reservists - location varies
- Custody and Visitation Mediator - NC
- Community Police Mediation Manager - New Orleans LA
- Family Court Facilitator - CO
- Case Manager - PA
- Family Court Services Coordinator - CA
- Conflict Resolution Professor - NY
|Affordable Online Mediation Education, CLE & CEU |
Affordable mediation training and continuing education opportunities from Mediate.com are at: www.mediate.com/University.
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- August 17-19 - St. Johns NL, CAN - Elder Mediation Training
- August 22 - Austin, TX - 8 hr. Arbitration Training
- August 22 - Online - Live Webinar: The Heart of Mediation: The Art of Asking Questions with Ken Cloke
- August 23-29 - Denver, CO - 40 hr. Basic Mediation Training
- August 31-October 5 - Online - Conflict Management Coaching with Patricia Porter
- September 5-October 4 - Online - Coaching Leaders Through Conflicgt with Cinnie Noble
- September 11-15 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- September 11-15 - Colorado Springs, CO - 40-hr. Basic Mediation Training
- September 14-15 - New Haven, CT - Negotiation When Relationships Matter
- September 15 - Manhatten, KS - Mediating with Military
- September 15 - Dallas, TX - The Good, The Bad and the Uninformed
- September 15-16 - Elmwood Park, IL - Basic Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training
- September 19-21 - Colorado Springs, CO - Conflict Coaching Seminar - 24 hrs.
- September 20-28 - Medford, OR - Restorative Justice Facilitator Training
- September 21 - Online - Ombuds as a Conflict Resolution Trainer - IOA
- September 22 - Online - Preventing Bad Settlement Decisions and Impasse: Using Brain Science, Game Theory, and Micro-Interventions with Doug Noll
- September 22 - Springfield, MO - Restorative Justice In Missouri
- September 22 - Anchorage, AK - Conflict Resolution in the Workplace Training
- September 22-23 - Berkeley, CA Navigating Conflict for Therapists
- September 22-24 - Kensington, MD - 20-houir Child Access Mediation Training
- September 23 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator?
- September 26-November 18 - Greenfield, MA - Basic Mediation Training
- September 26-28 - Colorado Springs, CO - Workplace Medation Training - 24 hrs
- September 26-November 18 - Greenfield, MA - Basic Mediation Training
- September 28-30 - Akron, PA - Fall 2017 Basic Mediation Training - 3 Days
- October 1-22 - New Brunswick, NJ - 40-hour Basic Civil Mediation Training
- October 2-6 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- October 2-6 - Denver, CO - Basic Mediation Training 40 hours
- October 4-13 - Corte Madera, CA - 40-hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- October 7-28 - Monroe Township, NJ - NJAPM 40-hour Divorce Mediation Training
- October 10-28 - Santa Ana, CA - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- October 11-20 - New Haven, CT - 40-Hour Mediation Certificate Program
- October 14 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator
- October 16-27 - Nationwide Test Centers - Certified Organizational Ombudsman Practitioner® Exam
- October 18-21 - Eugene, OR - Restoring Focus on the Child: CADRE’s Seventh National Symposium on Special Education Dispute Resolution
- October 19-20 - Berkeley, CA - Negotiating Effective Environmental Agreements
- October 19-21 - Nashville, TN - 3rd Annual Fall Professional Skills Program (Pepperdine & Lipscomb)
- October 19-23 - Kensington, MD - 40-hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- October 21-22 - Sacramento, CA - Collaborative Practice - 2 day Basic Interdisciplinary Training
- October 23-27 - Colorado Springs, CO - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- October 23-27 - San Rafael, CA - Essentials of Mediation (3 Days) and Divorce Mediation (2 Days)
- October 23-27 - Baltimore, MD - October 40-Hour Mediation and Conflict Transformation Skills Training
- October 25-28 - Santa Monica, CA - Mediation Training with Ken Cloke
- October 25-26 - Toronto, Ontario, CAN - High Conflict in Groups
- October 25-29 - Springfield, MO - Civil & Family Mediation Training
- October 26-27 - Corte Madera, CA - Advanced Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 23,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.