Peter Adler is one of the conflict specialists I respect most. Earlier posts about his work are posted here and here. He has a new, particularly timely article at Mediate.com that bears reporting: 12 Questions for Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and Barack Obama on “Eye-of-the-storm” Leadership.
These are Peter’s questions to the Presidential Candidates:
- What Is Your History of Bringing People Together?
- Who Are Your Best Examples of Leaders Who Brought People Together?
- On Which Issues Will You Immediately Seek Bipartisan Support, and How Will You Get It?
- Who Will You Have To Partner With To Achieve Your Objectives?
- On Those Top Issues, How Will You Determine Whether You Compromise or Stand Firm?
- How Specifically Will You Relate Differently With Countries At Odds With the U.S.?
- What Specific Kinds of Arrangements Do You Think Can Be Brokered In the Middle East?
- What Is Your Dominant Leadership Style, and Why Are You the Right Person At This Time?
- What Is An Example Of Your Intellectual Flexibility, Your Ability To Shift Your Views In Response To New Information or Changing Conditions?
- In What Ways Should America Change Its Role In the World, and How Will You Mobilize Americans To Support That Shift?
- What Mistake Made By Previous Presidents Are You Most Eager To Avoid?
- How Will You Handle That 3 A.M. Call?
Here’s Peter’s article.