Help your children have peace and joy during the holidays by:
- Planning ........ your children want to know when they will be at Dad’s house and at Mom’s house…. respect the plan but be flexible so that the children can participate in holiday plans that come up;
- Letting the children love the other parent…..help them create a gift or shop for the other parent;
- Coordinating gift giving with the other parent so children’s gifts are not duplicated and they receive approximately equal gifts from both of you;
- Resisting negative talk about the other parent at family gatherings; your children do not want to hear inappropriate comments about the other parent;
- Being civil to your former spouse ....let your children enjoy the holidays ……. and remember….. civility is a gift to you ……… if your children are happy you will enjoy seeing their happiness!
Help yourself have peace and joy during the holidays by:
- Beginning new holiday traditions….volunteer….take a trip…go to parties……..have a party;
- Spending time with supportive friends and family who will not drag you down by dwelling on negative things about your former spouse;
- Doing the things you have wanted to do …..go to a movie, take a yoga class, go for a walk, cook a special meal, organize pictures, read a book…bake cookies and eat them;
- Indulging in a spa treatment, retreat , cooking class or anything you want;
- Laughing…….do anything that makes you laugh….laughter will make you feel better!