This Week in Mediation #662
January 18, 2017
Celebrating Our 22nd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Borderlines: Neutrality on the Edges of Mediation • The Role of Ombudsmen and The Recurring Ethical Crisis in the American Financial Services Industry • Divorce Mediation In Ohio • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Borderlines: Neutrality on the Edges of Mediation |
by Richard Barbieri
Mediators have Four Noble Truths, recited to each new set of parties we work with: “This process is Voluntary and Self-Determined; we are Neutral, and everything said here is Confidential.”
|The Role of Ombudsmen and The Recurring Ethical Crisis in the American Financial Services Industry |
by Alia Ismail
When recurring ethical crisis in the financial services industry arise, it’s essential to give voice to employees on the lower end of hierarchies in organizational institutions.
|Interview with Homer LaRue|
This is the complete interview by Robert Benjamin with Homer LaRue filmed as part of Mediate.com's 'Views from the Eye of the Storm' Video Series.
|2017 IDFA National Conference, May 3–5, 2017 in Orlando|
Join the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts in Orlando for the 2017 IDFA National Conference, May 3–5, 2017! This conference brings together family lawyers, financial planners, and divorce professionals for networking and continuing education. Experts from the forefront of the industry will discuss innovative strategies, practical expertise, and real-world case studies. This event features a keynote address from Michael Kitces of XY Planning Network and sessions on key topics such as gray divorce, building a divorce practice, and perspectives from a family law judge. It’s a can’t-miss event for anyone working in divorce. For more information, visit InstituteDFA.com/Orlando.
|Divorce Mediation In Ohio |
by Eric Laubacher
This article discusses options for reaching equitable solutions before divorce.
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs
|APFM 2017 Annual Conference: Professional Family Mediation from A to Z|
Join the Academy of Professional Family Mediators for our annual conference in Memphis, TN March 30 – April 2. Pre-conference and Conference registration is open online. Early bird registration ends February 1. You can find a list of all workshops, plenary sessions, and social events on the APFM website. We look forward to having you at this year’s conference and enjoying all that Memphis has to offer, including a visit to the civil rights museum, BBQ & more! Full information is here.
|Mediate.com Certification Program|
Are you eligible for Mediate.com Certification? See www.mediate.com/Certification
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- Unique Challenges to Mediating a Medical Malpractice Case
Mediating a medical malpractice case brings with it many challenges that are not present when mediating other types of cases.
- Productive Mediation of Liability and Coverage
Settlement of litigation cases prior to trial often requires resolving competing claims for insurance coverage and indemnification between some or all of the parties. Fundamentally, determining who has to pay to settle a suit can be as complex, if not more so, than the underlying dispute.
- Approaching Mediation From Another Vantage Point
Very few neutrals, arbitrators or mediators, however astute, can truly appreciate what a party is feeling in the midst of mediation or court mandated settlement conference.
- Mediation to start Tuesday in Pinellas 50-year-old desegregation case
District officials and the lawyers for the plaintiffs in the federal case held informal negotiations for about four months, but agreed that they weren't making much progress. It was Guy Burns, the lawyer in a separate but related state case, that suggested the parties go to mediation, if only to speed things along.
- 4 Things to Consider When Your Company is Ordered to Mediation
Mediation of employment matters is on the rise. When faced with an employment case, your company may be ordered to mediation or the court rules may require it.
Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Employee and Labor Relations Senior Manager
- Director of Employee Relations - FL
- Student Conduct Officer - MN
- Manager of Employee Relations - MI
- Regional Coordinator - CA
- Ombudsman - DC
- EEO Officer - NY
- Issue Resolution Facilitator - OR
- Ombudsman Mediator - CA
- Magistrate - NC
|Online Mediation CLE - CEU |
Get affordable mediation training and continuing education online at www.mediate.com/University.
|March 2017 Mediation Trainings with Steven Rosenberg
Full information is at www.RosenbergMediation.com
- March 1-10: 40-hour Mediation Training in San Rafael, CA
A dynamic interactive, 40 hour professional training program utilizing simulations, coaching, lectures and demonstrations. March 1-3 & 8-10, 2017.
- March 23-24 - Advanced Mediation Training in San Rafael, CA
A two-day, limited enrollment advanced mediation training. This interactive training is designed for those who would like to improve their established mediation skills.
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- January 20-21 - San Rafael, CA - Complex Issues in Child Custory Evaluations
- January 24-26 - Round Rock, TX - Advanced Family Mediation Class
- January 26 - February 3 - Medford, OR - Restorative Justice Facilitator Training
- January 27 - February 5 - Los Angeles- Looking for a new approach to family law?
- January 28 - Los Angeles, CA - Grow Your Mediation Practice Now! with Lee Jay Berman
- February 4-12 - San Francisco, CA - The Basics of Mediation - 40 hours
- February 6-10 - Macon, GA - General Civil Mediation Training & Practicum
- February 8-9 - Austin, TX - 20-hour Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- February 9-25 - Irvine, CA - Mediating the Litigated Case
- February 9 - Newport Beach, CA - Detox Your Life from High Conflict People
- February 13-16 - Austin, TX - Basic Mediation Class
- February 15-17 - Toronto, CAN - Introduction to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- February 16-19 - San Antonio, TX - 40-hour Basic Mediation Course
- February 21 - Austin, TX - Basic Arbitration Training Course
- February 22-23 - Austin, TX - Elder Care Mediation Class
- February 23-26 - San Diego, CA - Looking for a new approach to family law
- February 25-28 - Austin, TX - 8 Hour Communicating Success/Cultural Awareness and Sensitivity Training
- February 27-March 3 - Macon, GA - Domestic & Family Mediation Training
- February 28-March 1 - Berkeley, CA - Negotiating Effective Environmental Agreements
- March 1-10 - San Rafael, CA - 40-hour Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- March 1-10 - Medford, OR - Fundamentals of Mediation Training
- March 2 - April 6 - Online - Spring 2017 CINERGY Conflict Management Coaching Virtual Training
- March 3-12 - Santa Fe, NM - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 23,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.