This Week in Mediation #699
October 10, 2017
Celebrating Our 22nd Year Membership information
|In This Issue:
Character Traits Of Working Dogs And Conflict Mediators: ‘Systematic Intuition’ And Tenacity • Traits of a 'Mediator' • The Larger Room • How Conflict Is Like Sex • Sunk Costs and the California Law Revision Commission • Consumer Mediation in the European Union: A Beginner's Guide to Mediation Under Directive 2013/11/EU • Mediation News • Job Postings • Events Calendar • Blogs
|Character Traits Of Working Dogs And Conflict Mediators: ‘Systematic Intuition’ And Tenacity|
by Robert Benjamin
Conflict mediators are a strange breed. The best ones, not unlike police or firefighters, are drawn to manage difficult situations and heated controversies that most other people would just as soon avoid.
|Traits of a 'Mediator'|
by Sam Imperati
Although there are many intangibles in the definition of a “good” mediator, certain character traits are invaluable. It turns out that these same character traits may have other uses as well.
|29th Annual Southern California Mediation Association Mediation Conference - Oct. 20-21 in LA|
The 29th Annual SCMA Conference "Mediation in the Real World: New Thinking, New Practices." is Oct. 20-21. Join hundreds of fellow mediators and conflict resolution professionals at one of the West Coast’s best conferences. NEW LOCATION: LA HOTEL in Downtown Los Angeles. Register HERE
|The Larger Room|
by Michael Jacobs
It would be the first time Peter looked after their two year old daughter. In fact, it would be the first time that he actually met Flora.
|How Conflict Is Like Sex|
Peter T. Coleman
Another big idea on peace and justice from the career of Morton Deutsch.
|Sunk Costs and the California Law Revision Commission|
by Phyllis Pollack
On September 28, 2017, the California Law Revision Commission met to review the public comments it had received to its Tentative Recommendation (issued in June 2017) following its study to create an exception to mediation confidentiality (Study K-402).
|Free Community Mediation Webinar: Caseload Manager Advanced Features - October 26|
We will review advanced Caseload Manager features including Automated Deadlines, Export and Creating Templates. Webinar: Thursday, October 26th, 10am Pacific/1pm Eastern. This 30 minute webinar will include a live demonstration and time to ask questions.
|OMA 31st Annual Conference Nov.3-4 in Portland|
You’re invited to participate in the Oregon Mediation Association’s 31st Annual Conference: Conflict Engagement in Today’s America: Roles, Practices, Ethics, and Opportunities. This year’s conference offers a broad scope of relevant, professional-level conflict resolution presentations and workshops as well as the opportunity to meet and engage with practitioners in the field. Early-Bird registration is now open! For more information and to register, go HERE.
|Consumer Mediation in the European Union: A Beginner's Guide to Mediation Under Directive 2013/11/EU|
by Mahasweta Rayan
The use of mediation in resolving consumer disputes has always been a subject of curiosity, generating much debate.
|Mediate.com Premium Membership|
Premium Membership now includes a Mediate.com Premium Membership Badge on your website. When visitors click on your badge, they are taken directly to your confirming directory information at Mediate.com. Full information is at: www.mediate.com/Membership
|Featured Mediation Blogs
Read All Featured Blogs|
|Get the Most Cases with Featured Mediator Placement|
Featured Mediator Placement puts your picture, name and website at the top of every page of Mediate.com! Full information is here.
|This Week’s Mediation News (read & search News at: www.mediate.com/Today)
Read All News
- Oct. 17: Roundtable on Mediation and the Homeless
The Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs will host a “Roundtable on How Mediation Can Help the Homeless Population” at the L.A. Law Library in downtown Los Angeles on Tuesday, October 17 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Police discourage victims pressing charges against officers, offer mediation instead
Tyler Pogan was offered the mediation after complaining he was pepper sprayed and repeatedly punched by a police officer during an arrest in Gisborne in October 2014.
- Mediators rally for criminal justice reform
Red cheeked and sweaty in the unseasonable heat, Lorig Charkoudian ran with a mission. The Executive Director of Community Mediation Maryland traveled on foot from Hagerstown en route to Baltimore, stopping at Frederick’s Trinity United Methodist Church on Saturday for the Rally for Criminal Justice Reform.
- The Mediation Act 2017 provides an opportunity for the legal system to become fairer
Cork-based solicitor and chairman of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Ireland branch (CIArb), Bill Holohan is a staunch advocate of mediation to resolve disputes, having had his own personal road to Damascus moment a decade ago.
- China reinforces mediation call as Rohingya crisis spirals
Without alienating Bangladesh, China is backing Myanmar, setting the stage of mediation between the two countries to resolve the Rohingya humanitarian and refugee crisis.
- 8 Nobel Peace laureates call for mediation in Catalonia
The Nobel laureates condemned the violence during illegal referendum of independence Oct. 1 in Catalonia and referred to the referendums held in Quebec and Scotland, regions where secession was voted against in 1995 and 2014 respectively, as examples of "mature democracies" and "freedom of expression".
|Caseload Manager is the #1 Mediation & Ombuds Program Case Managment System!|
Caseload Manager is your best answer for mediation and ombuds program case management. Full information is at www.CaseloadManager.com.
|Jobs (for Premium Members) Post New Job Listings
Read All Jobs
- Part-Time Arbitrator - NC
- Labor Relations Arbitrator or Mediator - MO
- Ombuds Associate - CA
- Mediation Coordinator - FL
- Executive Director - MD
- Associate Ombudsman - DC
- Family Engagement Coordinator - SC
- HR Administrator - WA
- Family Case Manager - OK
- Student Rights Specialist - IL
- Case Manager - FL
- Employee Relations Analyst - NC
- EEO Specialist - IA
|Affordable Online Mediation Education, CLE & CEU |
Affordable mediation training and continuing education opportunities from Mediate.com are at: www.mediate.com/University.
|Training & Conference Calendar
Visit Complete Calendar
- October 11-20 - New Haven, CT - 40-Hour Mediation Certificate Program
- October 12 - Toronto, ON CAN - Med-Arb: Efficiency or Justice Compromised?
- October 12-14 - Roanoke, VA - Basic Mediation Training
- October 14 - Colorado Springs, CO - Interested in Becoming a Mediator
- October 14 - Monterey, CA - Masters of Mediation with Jeff Krivis
- October 14-22 - San Francisco, CA - Basics of Mediation
- October 16-19 New York, NY - Employment Law Mediator Training
- October 16 - Round Rock, TX - Domestic Violencel Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code Update
- October 16-27 - Nationwide Test Centers - Certified Organizational Ombudsman Practitioner® Exam
- October 18-20 - St. John's NL CAN - ADRIC 2017: ADR & Access to Justice
- October 18-21 - Eugene, OR - Restoring Focus on the Child: CADRE’s Seventh National Symposium on Special Education Dispute Resolution
- October 19-20 - Berkeley, CA - Negotiating Effective Environmental Agreements
- October 19-21 - Nashville, TN - 3rd Annual Fall Professional Skills Program (Pepperdine & Lipscomb)
- Ocrtober 19-20 - Malibu, CA - ABA Section for Dispute Resolution 15th Annual Advanced Mediation & Advocacy Skills Institute
- October 19-23 - Kensington, MD - 40-hour Basic Divorce Mediation Training
- October 20-28 - Rochester, NY - ACR-Approved Family & Divorce Mediation Training
- October 20-21 - Los Angeles, CA - 29th Annual Southern California Mediation Association Conference
- October 21 - Los Angeles, CA - AIM Institute Advanced Track at the SCMA Annual Conference
- October 21-22 - Sacramento, CA - Collaborative Practice - 2 day Basic Interdisciplinary Training
- October 23-27 - Chicago, IL - Mediation Skills Training Certificate Program
- October 23-27 - Colorado Springs, CO - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- October 23-27 - San Rafael, CA - Essentials of Mediation (3 Days) and Divorce Mediation (2 Days)
- October 23-27 - Baltimore, MD - October 40-Hour Mediation and Conflict Transformation Skills Training
- October 23-25 - Baltimore, MD - IOA Foundations of Organizational Ombudsman Course (3 days)
- October 23-25 - Austin, TX - 30-hour Advanced Family Mediation Training
- October 25-28 - Santa Monica, CA - Mediation Training with Ken Cloke
- October 25-26 - Toronto, Ontario, CAN - High Conflict in Groups
- October 25-29 - Springfield, MO - Civil & Family Mediation Training
- October 26-27 - Corte Madera, CA - Advanced Mediation Training with Steven Rosenberg
- October 26 - Baltimore, MD - IOA: Helping People Get Unstuck: Mindsets that Generate Responsibility and Possibility
- October 26-27 - Baltimore, MD - IOA: Mediation Theory and Skills for the Organizational Ombudsman Course (2 days)
- October 27-November 12 - Plano, TX - Conflict Management Coaching
- October 29-November 3 - University of Cape Town South Africa - Company-Community Dialogue Facilitation in Complex Environments
- October 30-November 3 - Macon, GA - Domestic & Family (Divorce) Mediation Training
- October 30-November 2 - Albany, NY - Conflict Coaching Training
- October 31-November 2 - New York, NY - 2017 Annual International Conference on Ethnic and Religious Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding
- November 1-3 - Colorado Springs, CO - Restorative Justice Training - 24 hrs
- November 1-5 - Muir Beach, CA - 40-hr Basic Mediation Training
- November 2-7 - Kensington, MD - 40-hour Basic Mediation Training
- November 2 - Austin, TX - Domestic Violence - Texas Update
- November 3 - Seaside, CA - Crossing the Cultural Divide in Mediation with Nina Meierding
- November 3-4 - Portland, OR - Oregon Mediation Association's 31st Annual Conference
- November 6-7 - Austin, TX - 20 hr. Child Protective Services Mediation Training
- November 6-10 - Denver, CO - 40 hr. Basic Mediation Training
- November 6-8 - Newton, MA - Elder Decisions Mediation Training
Editors: Jim Melamed and Clare Fowler. We welcome comments and feedback. Send your comments to email@example.com.
We encourage you to write an article for This Week in Mediation. Please review our submission guidelines.
This Week in Mediation is distributed to over 23,000 opt-in mediators and ADR professionals. You can include a 100-word newsletter announcement in This Week in Mediation with a headline, link and contact information for $499. There is no faster or better way to reach the mediation and ADR fields. More information is here.